Assistant Manager Pay Rate? Am i getting ripped off?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Pebbles11

Assistant Manager Pay Rate? Am i getting ripped off?

Post by Pebbles11 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi everyone,
i live in sydney nsw and have been an assistant director / 2IC for a while now, but i dont know if i am being paid right. I am currently a lead educator and get paid $23.13 which is level 1 for a diploma lead educator. The director has been away a couple of times for a week at a time and during this time i only get paid as an assistant director $24.19. Is this correct or should i be getting constantly $24.19 for normal everyday work and then a directors pay rate when she is away?

Any help will be appreciated i dont quite understand the award when i read it.

Thanks Pebbles

Lorina

Re: Assistant Manager Pay Rate? Am i getting ripped off?

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:01 am

Hi Pebbles,

If you have been appointed assistant director of a service that is your current job role, regardless of whether or not the director is working at the centre daily or not. As an assistant director some of your tasks include:

Co - ordinate and direct the activities of employees engaged in the implementation and evaluation of developmentally appropriate programs.
Contribute, through the Director, to the development of the centre or service's policies.
Co - ordinate centre or service operations including Occupational Health and Safety, program planning, staff training.
Responsible for the day - to - day management of the centre or service in the temporary absence of the Director and for management and compliance with licensing and all statutory and quality assurance issues.
Generally supervise all employees within the service.

Levels For Childcare Wages

With more responsibilities you take on as an assistant director you wages also increases. According to the Modern Award Wage an assistant director start at Level 5 and the minimum wage on commencement is $24.19. So, you are getting paid the right amount however. I think you should be getting this pay on a daily basis, not just when the director is away.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Re: Assistant Manager Pay Rate? Am i getting ripped off?

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:42 am

Me Again,

Just also wanted to mention in the Children's Services Award 2010 it also states:

An employee engaged in duties carrying at a higher rate that their ordinary classification for two or more consecutive hours within any shift or day will be paid for the time so worked at the higher rate provided that:

a) the greater part of the time so worked is spent in performing duties carrying the higher rate

b) an employee engaged as a Children's Services Employee Level 5 (assistant director) who is required to undertake the duties of a director by reason of the directors absence will not be entitled to payment under this clause unless the directors absense exceeds to complete consecutive working days

Ref:Children's Service Award 2010 - Higher Duties

So basically it is stating that as an assistant director if your director is absent for more than 2 days in a row you are required to be paid a "higher duty" allowance.

Just wanted to point this out to you as well,

:geek:,
L.A