Asking for a job.,.

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Purplebutterfly2006
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Asking for a job.,.

Post by Purplebutterfly2006 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi everybody!

I have previously asked a question regarding prep teachers aide qualifications

I plan on approaching the school principal for a job as a prep educator aide but don't know how. How do I ask him for a job? I really don't know how to. I'm also really nervous and shy about asking for a job. Any advice on how to ask for a job or what to say to him?

Thanks for the help!

Ps: this website is so useful and so supportive. It's great knowing that there is such a helpful and large resource out there for us all to refer to for help. Well done to those who make this a possibility. I think I'd be lost without it.

Lorina

Re: Asking for a job.,.

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:01 am

Hi Bec,

First off I want to thank you for your kind comments about this site. It really makes me very happy to hear that we have supported you and will continue to support you on your journey into early childhood. We look forward to work with you to develop your knowledge to help you gain an understanding in early childhood development and learning.

Just wanted to let you know that over the past year we have been working on a new Aussie Childcare Network site where we have completely re-designed the style, added new features, changed the colours, made it mobile friendly and much more. We can't wait for it to be released and are very excited to complete it to finally make it live for all to use. It's currently under testing stage and we will be providing more information on this in the future....We are hoping for it's release early next year! So, a lot of changes are coming up and it's going to be awesome! :thumbup:

Back to your question... :giggle:

The benefit you have with approaching the principal is that you already know him and he should know you as well so there isn't much awkwardness.

You need to let him know that you are very interested in working as a prep educator aide within the school and that you are currently qualified with a certificate 3 of children's services and are enrolling into a Diploma course next year.

You can tell him how the teachers have supported you throughout your schooling there and you would like to work in an environment where you can develop your skills, abilities and knowledge as an early childhood educator and this school will help you succeed with this. You can also tell him why you would like to a prep aide (maybe to have practical experience in learning to observe a teacher's role so you can be a teacher one day?)...

Overall just be yourself, be honest and just let him know that you are interested in the position, your future study plans, how the school has helped and supported you etc... It will be alright and even though you may be nervous once you start talking the butterflies will disappear!

I really hope you get this job,

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:03 am

Oh you should also give the principle your resume along with a cover letter...

L.A

Purplebutterfly2006
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Purplebutterfly2006 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks L.A!

Wow! Can't wait for the new site to come up. Look forward to seeing and experiencing it!

Thanks for all the advice, it has helped me figure out what to say to him, I'm going to write down what I want to say and practice it. I'm not going to have it there when I talk to him, but this might help the butterflies go away. I guess I'm more nervous because he isn't advertising for positions for the primary school and I'm going out on a limb in thinking that he would need a prep educator aide. This is what I'm going to say, could you please tell me if you think it's good or not?

Hi (his name)

My name is (my name) I have just completed a very three in children's services and next year I plan on completing my diploma of children's services. While studying this it a qualifies me to work as an educator or teachers aide In a prep/ preschool setting. This school has a fabulous reputation in the community and I would love to beable to give crucial support and encouragement to the prep children starting next year and beable to support them in the most important years of their life. I feel that this school is the best place for me to do this. I was wanting to know if there would be any openings to become a prep educator aide next year?

Yes, I was planning on handing in a resume and cover letter to him. Thanks for the luck!

Does that sound alright? Thanks L.A for all your advice. You have truly helped me out!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:56 am

Bec, that's fantastic!

It's clear, it states your points, you compliment the school, you show your confident and interested in learning more about working with children... I really think it's great! Seriously how could he say no to that! :thumbup:

Let me know how it goes,

L.A

Purplebutterfly2006
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Purplebutterfly2006 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks for that L.A! I approached the principle today. He didn't say much except that I should hand in my resume, but he principle is a man with few words. So him not saying too much didn't surprise me. So I guess I just wait and see now but I'll have my fingers crossed.

Thanks again L.A, (I really can't thank you enough!)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:11 am

Great to hear that you have already spoken to the principle!

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you too! :giggle:

L.A