Applying for a Cert 3 Position

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
yassi1974

Applying for a Cert 3 Position

Post by yassi1974 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi there,

I recently finished my Certificate 3 and being now quite keen to start working. As I am a bit limited with time atm, being a mum to two young children, I can only work 2-3 days a week. Here is my question: How do you apply for a position and what do you write in your resume? I already applied for 2 jobs, who were advertised, but haven't got any feedback yet. So I am wondering, if I am doing the right thing? As I haven had any previous work experiences in childcare, I can only mention my placement, plus my completed certificate 3 and other previous work experiences related to children (I am also a language teacher to adults and children). So, are you having any suggestions? Is it ok, to walk into childcare centres and drop my resume?

Btw, love the forum. Used it quite a bit, while I was studying.

Thanks,

Yassi

MustHaveCoffee

Re: Applying for a Cert 3 psoition

Post by MustHaveCoffee » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:14 pm

As a Diploma student I have been calling the centres first to introduce myself and ask for a convenient time to drop my Resume off, lets the Director know when to expect me and I know I can have a chat with them then when thy are not busy.

Hope this helps.

yassi1974

Post by yassi1974 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks☺.I'll try that.

MustHaveCoffee

Post by MustHaveCoffee » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:22 pm

Opps, I should proof read my posts prior to hitting "submit".

Lorina

Re: Applying for a Cert 3 Position

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:34 am

yassi1974 wrote:Hi there,

I recently finished my Certificate 3 and being now quite keen to start working. As I am a bit limited with time atm, being a mum to two young children, I can only work 2-3 days a week. Here is my question: How do you apply for a position and what do you write in your resume? I already applied for 2 jobs, who were advertised, but haven't got any feedback yet. So I am wondering, if I am doing the right thing? As I haven had any previous work experiences in childcare, I can only mention my placement, plus my completed certificate 3 and other previous work experiences related to children (I am also a language teacher to adults and children). So, are you having any suggestions? Is it ok, to walk into childcare centres and drop my resume?

Btw, love the forum. Used it quite a bit, while I was studying.

Thanks,

Yassi
Hi Yassi,

Great to hear that you like the forum! Thanks!!

If you have MS Word you can use a template from there itself... However if not basically your resume will have different headings and then under those headings you write information about yourself and your work experience. So at the top you have your name, your contact details, email etc. Then you could probably have the following:

Qualifications - you could mention you completed your cert 3 and any other qualifications that you may have (from being a language teacher).

Work Experience - here you could add your previous job experiences starting from the most recent. Add your position, the name of the company/where you worked the date you started and finished (even do this for placement). Also, since you were a language teacher you could also add this experience as well.

Skills and Interests - here you could mention any skills you have such as speaking, reading or writing in another language etc. This should only be brief and only put the ones that could benefit you for this position.

In regards to writing a cover letter you should keep it brief and write exactly what you're after so when a director reads over it they know what you're looking for. Write an introduction of yourself and that you are looking for a couple of days work (part time). You can also include that you are eager to learn, be a supportive member to the team and interesting in learning further through hands on experience (something like that anyway).

Hope this gives you an idea to get started,

:geek:,
Lorina

P.S - Being a language teacher is a benefit for you because you can use this when working in a centre... what language do you speak?