Am i too old to do a trainee course?

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Oli79

Am i too old to do a trainee course?

Post by Oli79 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:07 am

Hi all!
Just after some advice. I want to do a trainee course for a Cert 3 but worry that i may be too old for anyone looking to hire a trainee as most trainees have just completed high school or are 18 years old and im far from that at the age of 36.
I have 10 years of experience working in a childcare centre and in the last year if employment in the same centre my traineeship was suspended as there was a problem with a non payment with the director and the company i was doing my traineeship with (no fault of my own) the company has said that if i start at another childcare i will receive RPL for all the courses i had already completed. I was a room leader in my place of work and used the ELYF programming system.
Any way the director sold the centre as too many debts were owed and staff left also.
Do you think i even have a chance to do a traineeship?

rh001

Re: Am i too old to do a trainee course?

Post by rh001 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:15 pm

hi there,

i personally think you're not, i think with your experience in this field, doing a traineeship (which i hope means just completing the cert 3 with the work placement etc) will (hopefully) be a piece of cake for you!

i hope one of the more experienced people in this forum will also reassure you as they know better. but i thought i'd add my two cents :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:17 am

Hi,

You are definitely NOT to old to do a traineeship! We need more mature and experienced people working in this industry!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at your previous centre...

Since you have already done half a traineeship I'm not too sure that you are able to go for another traineeship but it's best to ring TAFE to let them know what happened at your previous centre to see if you can continue with your traineeship... Instead of completing a cert 3 I recommend you do a Diploma since you have had experience working as a room leader and programming with the EYLF... You do not need to complete a cert 3 first to complete the Diploma and from your experience, your knowledge and your previous role I think you should be able to complete the Diploma with ease and it will be much more beneficial to you...

I really think you should go for it and you're never to old to work in this industry!

:geek:,
Lorina

Oli79

Post by Oli79 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. Yes I was looking at completing my Cert3 with a work placement. Its so difficult to find a diploma traineeship and all the traineeships I have applied to have never contacted me, so it made me start thinking that my ship has long sailed with being more mature. But thanks for the confidence boost will keep looking and applying and hopefully get something :)

Smiley

Post by Smiley » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Hello Oli
I have just about completed my Cert III at the age of 34 after 17 years in a corporate office being a receptionist!!
So I don't think your too old. I completed mine online while doing relief work for Expect-A-Star and another childcare close to home. Between the two jobs I get a minimum of 3 days but mostly 5 days a week. If you're in the position to pay for your own course and do this I would fully recommend it. (Thankfully my redundancy from my office job paid for my course). The only downside I have had is I have had more colds this season than I've had in a lifetime!
Hope you can find something
Regards
Smiley