Am i being paid correctly?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Madds

Am i being paid correctly?

Post by Madds » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:12 am

Hi there. First time posting on here but i use this site a lot!
I had a question about my wages as i think i am being underpaid but just wanted to check first, although everything i have read seems to confirm my suspicion. I graduated with my diploma in July 2014. In August i began working part time (37.5 hours a week which is what we are all employed as) as group leader in the toddlers room. I didn't really understand about the levels of pay and qualifications so i never questioned it until recently when i noticed that i am being paid at level 3.4 at $22.11 p/h. However from what i have read from numerous websites if you are diploma qualified and a group leader you are meant to start at level 4.1 which is a fair bit more an hour... I am 21 now and started when i was 20 so i wasn't regarded as a junior. I haven't talked to my boss yet because i just wanted to check first. Can anyone please tell me if i am supposed to start at level 4.1 instead of 3.4 in my situation?
Thank you!

Lorina

Re: Am i being paid correctly?

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:00 am

As a Diploma qualified room leader you are supposed to be paid at Level 4.1. Level 3.4 which you have been paid is an assistant Diploma's wage. Once you have completed a year with your Diploma qualification then your level increases to Level 4.2. At Level 4.2 your hourly wage is $24.07/per hour but this is only once you have completed a year with your Diploma (you mentioned you received it in July 2014). At Level 4.1 your hourly wage is $23.71/per hour. The rates mentioned above is before tax just to be clear...

When you go and discuss this with your Director I'd take a copy of the Award and your pay slip to show them what level you're supposed to be on and why you're only being paid at Level 3.4.

Childcare Wages In Australia
Levels For Childcare Wages

I would get this issue sorted out as soon as possible,

:geek:,
Lorina

Madds

Post by Madds » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:59 am

Thank you for replying Lorina! I have just spoken to my boss this morning. I showed her the award wages and she said it was an oversight as I she doesn't process the pays personally. She is fixing it all up now and back paying me for the past year. Thanks again for confirming my thoughts :) I'm glad I found out about it!

Maddie

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:28 am

Hi Maddie,

That's great news! Best possible outcome!

:geek:,
Lorina