Advice for success.

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
MustHaveCoffee

Advice for success.

Post by MustHaveCoffee » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m studying my Diploma of ECEC and I’m onto the last couple of subject clusters.

At this point in time, I’m excited to have nearly finished my diploma but very stressed as I feel that at the end of the course I may have made the wrong choice for a career change.

Don’t get me wrong, I love working with children and families, and with two young children of my own I’m deeply passionate for advocate for the social equality of all children’s wellbeing and education, my concern is based on myself being male.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my vocational placements and have always actively worked to assist as a team member rather then spend my time exclusively just a student working to compete their assessments, something that my mentors the staff and my lecturers have commented positively on.

The relationships I have always developed with all the children have been enjoyable and because of the practices I have put in place many parents have actively sought myself out for assistance with their child’s transition from home to centre when their child is finding it difficult that day. This has led to positive comments from many mothers and I have even had father’s come up and shake my hand.

I don’t shy away from difficult issues, and for assessments on activity planning I actively seek out the participation of children with behavioural concerns. This has been because I have always felt that through their participation I can discover so much more about myself as an Educator then if I was only concentrating on a passing grade.

As time progresses my confidence in viewing myself in the role of an Educator grows, and with my placement assessments and the comments given from mentors and lecturers being so positive, it gives me a sense of pride and ownership of my work and decisions.

Yet through it all, I have had to smile sweetly as many of the other students tell of having been offered positions of employment, as early on as prior to completing their certificate 3.

Sigh!

I didn’t make the decision for a career change into Early Childhood and Education lightly; it took a couple of years of deliberation before I made the leap, and I have always understood that its going to be a challenging career path to enter.

What I would love to hear is any advice on how I could improve my chances of gaining employment, be it additional study, community involvement etc.

I would dearly love to further my studies in the Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) at some stage, but additionally I am stressing that it may be a heavy investment time and financially with no prospects on completion.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Lorina

Re: Advice for success.

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:15 pm

I think it really depends on the areas where you are looking for work, city areas may have more opportunities to gain employment.

Doing your Diploma is probably the best qualification to go for since there may be a high demand for Diploma educators since the ratios were changed at the beginning if the year.

Have you tried casual work? Since you have almost completed your Diploma you could begin looking for a job now itself. Even getting on a few casual lists in some centres can help while you look for full time work. Also you could try childcare job agencies as a casual and they will help you look for full time work if that's what you're after.

Don't lose hope you will find a centre even though it may take some time, so keep looking and I'm sure you'll find something!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:22 pm

Also if possible try and get written references from your mentors and work placement that could support your resume. Add a portfolio of work samples you gave completed through your Diploma and work placement such as observations, programs, photos of room setups etc.

You should write a personal philosophy of your beliefs are as an educator and add this to your portfolio as well.

Just try to make your resume strong and use it to show off your skills.

Hope this helps,
Lorina

AmberJones

Post by AmberJones » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:49 pm

hey,howdy!
Setting up your priorities is always good when you're thinking about a career. Getting a job is not a big deal, but getting the right job is tough, not impossible though. If you have a good cv that has been tailored to the job's requirements then you'll land a good job for sure. But hey, I'd plead you to think twice before you make your choice.
Someone said it, if you hate your job, you hate your life.
Hope it doesn't happen with you. All the best.