set out a learning centre

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
monty

set out a learning centre

Post by monty » Sat May 21, 2011 11:49 am

hello ..
Im studying diploma in child care and I have this assignment if anyone can help please...
1 observe a small group of preschoolers .
2 record those observations using a range of formal and informal tools.
3 what are these children's emerging skills and interests.
4 create a planning web based on their interests
5 plan on going experience or project which you think will extend these children's emerging skills interests
6 list possible outcome for each child
7 list some questions you could use to extend children's curiosity and understandings
8 implement the experience and document children's initial responses
9 what now are the possibilities for extending/modidying this experience
10 re visit this experience with the children with at least one of the possiblities
11 evaluate at least three times
I did some observation ... the children were talking about the day and it is sunny day and my understanding was for their interest to find out and learn about the weather or the seasons.
is that right ? any ideas please ?
thanks.

Lorina

Re: set out a learning centre

Post by Lorina » Sun May 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi Monty,

You are on the right track in identifying the children's interest as "weather" or "seasons" through the observation you had described. Now all you have to do is decide which way you want to go. It's ok to do either because both of them go together. If you do "weather" first you can then extend on it by doing "seasons" next.

With planning an experience or project based on weather there is so much you can do. Here are a few ideas:

1) Make a weather board to be used everyday.
2) Blow some bubbles into the wind and talk about the movement of wind and wind moving differently in different places.
3) Add different types of clothes for different types of weather in home corner (umbrella, raincoat, long coat, mittens, hat, sun glasses etc.).
4) Use a thermometer to test the temperature outside and record your findings.
5) Set up weather experiments to demonstrate different weather patterns. Display your experiments and findings as a room display.

You can use the above ideas to create a planning web based on the children's interest. To plan an ongoing experience or project I suggest you pick one from the list above. In my opinion it's best to go for the weather experiments. Children will enjoy the demonstrations and gather a better understanding from it. I'm providing you with a link below which gives you all the information you need about weather. It gives child friendly information about different weather patterns, types of weather, weather experiments , weather games etc.

Check it out and I'm sure you can come up with a few more ideas on your own.

Link: http://www.weatherwizkids.com/

I came up with a few possible learning outcomes based on the points above.

1) Introduce weather related vocabulary and concepts.
2) How to tell what direction the wind is coming from.
3) Increase child's awareness of weather patterns.

Hopefully this should be enough information to get you started with your assignment…

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

monty

Post by monty » Mon May 23, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi L.A
Thank you for your reply it was very helpfull it helped me with some new ideas. Also I found this website and your articles are very helpfull with my studies and my work.
thank you

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi Monty,

I'm happy to hear that you came up with a few more new ideas for your assignment :)! Sometimes we just need to be led in the right direction.

Thank you for your feedback regarding my articles and this website :D … One of the main reasons behind writing my articles is to help you to understand the childcare industry and related topics in a simple way. I also wanted to share my experiences and my knowledge with you!

This website is a great way to share your comments and your own experiences with other childcare professionals. Each of us have had our own journey in the childcare industry and this website allows us to all come together to share what we have learnt. It's all about helping out each other!!

So thank you once again Monty for your comments!!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A