Work placement questions - Montessori Centres

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
inkhearted

Work placement questions - Montessori Centres

Post by inkhearted » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of looking for work placement and have a few questions. First, there are several Montessori centres in my area. Is it okay to ask them if I can volunteer there for my work placement, despite not having Montessori training? I wasn't sure if they took on staff/volunteers without a Montessori background.

Second, I've been babysitting in my area regularly for the last two years, and as such I know a smattering of children in some of the closer centres--some I know quite well, and have even picked them up from the centres before. Are there any issues with this when applying to centres? I know I wouldn't play favourites, but would the administration think I might? Should I avoid applying to centres where I know a few of the kids?

Would love your input. :) Thanks!

Lorina

Re: Work placement questions

Post by Lorina » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:59 am

Since you're only doing work placement I don't think you need Montessori training. It will actually be good for you to observe how the Montessori methods work...

Knowing the children within the centre may actually benefit you and if you have formed a bit of a social relationship with a centre then it can help with your work placement. Doing work placement at a centre you are familiar with is probably easier since you are familiar with some of the staff and the centre itself. I don't think there is any problem applying at these centres as well.

Hope you enjoy work placement,

:geek:,
L.A

inkhearted

Post by inkhearted » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:26 am

Thank you for the quick reply, Lorina! =D I'm happy to hear I should be able to apply wherever. Hopefully I'll get something soon!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:14 am

You should be fine! Good Luck with it! :thumbup:

:geek:,
L.A