STUDENTS - Training Organisations Providing Poor Graduates

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Lorina

STUDENTS - Training Organisations Providing Poor Graduates

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:54 am

There is a very interesting article published today on ABC news about how some training organisations provide a "quick" qualification to their students who aren't even ready for employment within a centre even with a suitable qualification.

Here is the article for you to read:

Childcare Centres Blacklist Accredited Training Organisations Providing Poor Graduates

This goes to show that even with a certificate if you don't have the skills or knowledge then you will have great difficulty finding a job...

:geek:,
L.A

EarlyYearsTraining

Re: STUDENTS - Training Organisations Providing Poor Graduates

Post by EarlyYearsTraining » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:20 pm

This is areal issue in the Industry Lorina.... there are many RTOs who do not provide enough training, support as well as practicum to ensure students are "employable". I am an RTO (Early Years Training) delivering the CHC30113 Cert III and CHC50113 Diploma and it is absolutely critical that students are equipped with knowledge, skill and confidence but also passion to work hard and see their future career as significant and critical in the lives of children and families... i find there are many trainers that just don't have this passion and therefore do not pass it onto their students!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:59 am

I see what you mean...

I also think in some RTO's it may be the delivery of the content in each of the units or how the questions and assessments are written and worded. I have supported and assisted hundreds of students and the most common factor is that they simply don't understand the question because of the way it is written and sometimes the questions are considerably hard. I must admit when assisting a couple of students myself I have had to re-read the question multiple times to simply understand what it is referring to. I understand that students need the theory portions to gain an overall perspective in each unit but for some students the language and words used are complicated. We need to realise that there are a vast range of students studying early childhood from those, fresh out of high school, non English speakers, to mature age. So, we need to accommodate each and everyone's understanding so we can support them to become better educators.

Just sharing my views,

Lorina

EarlyYearsTraining

Post by EarlyYearsTraining » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:41 am

yes i agree.. in the short time i have been on Aussie network I am astounded at the assessment questions students have... they are very unclear for the student in terms of what is being asked but also as a trainer and assessor I am not sure of the purpose- what knowledge evidence is trying to be gathered.... it raised concerns about WHO is developing these questions.. are they early childhood qualified?, do they understand the training package requirements and knowledge evidence as well as new assessment conditions? yes you are right.. they really don't support school leavers and ESL students hence what learning outcomes occur for these students... questions really need to be clear, enable the student to transfer their knowledge easily and make sense of the theory.

What i am also amazed at is that students need to come to forums to get their questions answered/ get support.. where is their trainer.. i am available to my students 6 days / week so they are supported... these students are very lucky to have you at Aussie CC network to assist them... but where is the trainer???

blissneso
Participator
Participator

Post by blissneso » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:21 pm

I couldn't agree more with the difficult/confusing way the assessment questions were worded for the diploma course.
The fact that the last half an hour of each unit study block was spent going through the assignment questions (with the teacher instructing the students how to answer the questions) gave the facilitators enough insight that the questions content needed to be looked at.
Thankfully something has been done and the questions have been re-worded so the future students will be better off.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 pm

blissneso wrote:I couldn't agree more with the difficult/confusing way the assessment questions were worded for the diploma course.
The fact that the last half an hour of each unit study block was spent going through the assignment questions (with the teacher instructing the students how to answer the questions) gave the facilitators enough insight that the questions content needed to be looked at.
Thankfully something has been done and the questions have been re-worded so the future students will be better off.
I don't understand why they make the questions so hard! Luckily your course provider understood their students needs and changed them! Some of the questions are so simple and they word it so complicated! It's not a uni degree it's a Diploma course...

Let's hope other institutes follow suit!

Lorina