Stereotypes common for children HELP

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
mummyto3
Helper
Helper

Stereotypes common for children HELP

Post by mummyto3 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:20 pm

I'm having a little trouble with this one any guidance would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance.

All workers in the education field are in a unique position to challenge stereotypes and provide information to support children.

What stereotypes are commonly voiced by school children? I can only think of things like only girls like dolls, only boys can play with cars, blue is a boys colour, pink is a girls colour etc.

How do you react to these comments/actions? I would explain to the children that no matter if you are a boy or a girl you can like blue or pink and can like to play with cars or dolls, I would encourage the children to include all colours when drawing or painting and encourage the use of cars and dolls by both genders. Other then this I'm stumped HELP

How can you promote children’s abilities?