Starting as a trainee and working towards cert III

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Pbarns

Starting as a trainee and working towards cert III

Post by Pbarns » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:51 pm

Hi.
As far as I can tell, you can start working at a childcare centre in a traineeship where you work and study a cert III. It seems some centres possibly pay your course fee as you study, does this sound right?

If you are working in a registered child care centre while studying your cert III, does this count as your work placement?

Is there a minimum wage in NSW where you start in this 'traineeship' role? (starting Cert III simultaneously)

Is there a difference between a traineeship and an apprenticeship in childcare?

If I was to start the Cert III (online) while continuing to work in my current job (not in childcare) and then complete my work placement towards the end - would I be expected to complete that work placement without being paid?

Apologies for the question overload.
Thank you

Lorina

Re: Starting as a trainee and working towards cert III

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:11 pm

1) Yes, you can complete your cert 3 or diploma qualification through a traineeship at a childcare centre. You will need to continue employment with the centre until you complete your qualification which is about a year (full time). The childcare centre will pay for the fees, however if you're in NSW you will need to pay the yearly tuition fee which is $500 or so (depending on the course provider).

The following article will give you more information: Childcare Traineeship Wages and Conditions

2) If you are working at a centre and you are studying online, the hours may count towards work placement but you will need to check with your course provider if they allow you to do this... it differs depending on where you study...

3) In regards to wages, the article above will help you determine your minimum wage while working as a trainee... if you can't figure it out, no worries just let me know and I'll help.

4) While working in childcare you are a trainee, apprenticeships are for different fields...

5) Yes, while doing work placement you will not be paid as you are volunteering your time to learn new skills and complete assignments and tasks as well as it is part of your qualification...

Hope this info helps,

:geek:,
Lorina