Scenario: Henry - Hearing Problem

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
mummyto3
Helper
Helper

Scenario: Henry - Hearing Problem

Post by mummyto3 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:27 pm

Henry is 6 years old and speaks in single words. Henry often seems to ignore your directions and is regularly observed playing alone absorbed in his own company. The staff have met to discuss Henry’s behaviours and development. It has been suggested that Henry may have a hearing problem. Henry’s Aunty (his legal guardian) says she hasn’t noticed anything that Henry is quiet and a well behaved boy.

How can you, as his aide support Henry?
What services may he require?
What support is available locally for Henry and his Aunty if he does have a hearing difficulty?

mummyto3
Helper
Helper

Re: Scenario: Henry - Hearing Problem

Post by mummyto3 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:40 pm

I question whether Henry perhaps has autism often hearing problems are suspected with autistic children.

I did think of referring him to get a hearing test but am unsure how I could support him whiles this is in the process of happening

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:31 pm

Until Henry gets his hearing test done to confirm if he does have an hearing impairment maybe some simple strategies such as facing the child when you speak, using non verbal cues to communicate, reduce the surrounding noise in the environment etc.

:geek:,
Lorina

mummyto3
Helper
Helper

Post by mummyto3 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks so much