Cert 3 - Settling new child in OSHC

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
astroboy9679

Cert 3 - Settling new child in OSHC

Post by astroboy9679 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi All Mark here. I am nearly finished my studies for Cert III Childrens Services. Does anyone have any ideas on how i could answer the following question. All input greatly appreciated.

Ben is 10 years old. His family have just relocated and he is new at school. He has never been to OSHC and his parents are unsure of how Ben will adjust to his new environment.
Describe the process of orientation you will follow with the family and Ben to ensure a smooth transition into care. (OSHC - Outside School Hours Care).

Lorina

Re: Has Anyone Got Ideas How I Could Answer This

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi Mark, I use to work in an OOSH and here is what we used to do during an orientation procedure:

- Both parents and child are given a tour of the centre.

- Introduce parents and child to all staff and children.

- We use to have a buddy system. The new child will be teamed up with an existing child whom will show the new child around, show them what to do etc.

- We encourage parents to stay at the centre as long as they like when settling their child in.

- Introduce a parent/child from the new child’s class who also attend OOSH to help with the settling in process.

- On the first week try to encourage parents to pick up child early for “short days” if possible.

- Parents are encouraged to call as often as they want to see how their child is settling in.

Typically it doesn’t take a child too long to settle into an OOSH centre because they are older it is unlikely they would have separation anxiety since they are already going to school anyway.

Have a great weekend :)

:geek:,
L.A

astroboy9679

Re: Has Anyone Got Ideas How I Could Answer This

Post by astroboy9679 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Thankyou so much for you assistance. Some wonderful ideas there. I am so pleased that there is a forum set up like this where everybody can help each other. I stumbled across it by accident really but I am so glad that I did.
Mark.