Places to Study Externally

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
missammyy

Places to Study Externally

Post by missammyy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi! I haven't posted here before, I was waiting until I started studying but I really need some help regarding training organisations.

I signed up to do a Certificate III in Children's Services with Step into Training Services which only cost me $49 because it's government funded and I'm having huge amounts of issues with them.

On Monday the 8th they said they would send my books the following Monday so I text them on Thursday the 18th asking when to expect my books and they never replied so I called them on Friday (19th) and they said that they would send them on Monday again!

I text them on Monday asking if they were ready to send my books and they didn't reply so I called them about it and they said they would be sending them soon. (They should really be here by now because their institute is only 2 and a half hours from me)
Then they called me yesterday saying that I would need to sign up to do the diploma because otherwise I will not be able to get a job and they would send me more forms but they STILL HAVEN'T SENT THEM! (VIA EMAIL!) I have been waiting since yesterday at 9am for the forms.

I'm really upset about this because I'm worried they will be like this throughout my entire course and I will lose motivation to get it done.

Anyway I have 3 questions.

1. Is it necessary for me to do a diploma?
2. Can I do it without doing a certificate III first or do they come in a package?
3. Does anyone recommend any government funded organisations who offer external delivery?

TL;DR: I don't think the training organisation I chose is working out and am interested in recommendations for another.

Lorina

Re: Places to Study Externally

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:27 am

OK, so it sounds like this course provider is giving you the run around and if they cant even give you the books or forms what sorts of support are you going to get when you need help for your assignments? Not a good sign or a good start so I think you should quit while you are ahead... Find someone else to go through... There are many available and most of them are government funded... I always say TAFE is the best option...

In regards to doing a Diploma, you do not need to do the Cert 3 first as the Cert 3 units are in embedded into the Diploma qualification now... It also depends on what position you want in childcare... if you are happy being an assistant - just do the cert 3, however if you want to be a room leader, complete the Diploma qualification...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:29 am

Also, it's not always a good idea to go with the cheapest course providers because like you are experiencing it could give you issues... Try TAFE, they do external study as well...

Lorina

missammyy

Post by missammyy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:31 am

Hi Lorina,
Thank you for replying! :)

Yes, the way they're acting is freaking me out and I don't really think they will be supportive.

Sorry I didn't mention this but I have signed up through Tafe for a cert III twice and Diploma once. I've paid them quite a bit and I didn't get any real support. When I found a teacher I liked I had her for 2 books and then I was shuffled onto another teacher. :(
I was hoping this network could help if my teacher didn't come through.

My dream is to become a Family Daycare Operator so I guess the diploma would be best. This place offers the diploma under the same deal (no more money spent)

To be honest, cost is a big factor for myself and my husband at the moment.
I was diagnosed and treated for ovarian cancer in 2011 and I haven't been able to pick myself up since then.
As I mentioned above I signed up to do the diploma and failed so I now owe centrelink thousands of dollars and to top it all off, my husband and I need IVF which is very very expensive.

I would be happy to spend more if we had it to spare and if I knew it wasn't going to be another waste. I'm just unsure because of the past. :(

missammyy

Post by missammyy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:53 pm

One more question sorry..
If I sign up to do the diploma is there any way that I can start working in a centre for pay while I'm studying? Are there any subjects I can do before others that will help me to do this? (Hope this makes sense)

molpost
Participator
Participator

Post by molpost » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:48 am

Hi Missammyy,

You can start working while you are studying Diploma, I think it just depends on the centre, their requirements and your experience!
First Aid is always a good one to do before you start work.
I've just started my Diploma at Inspire Education, so far so good!
All the best

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am

Hi Missammyy,

Im sorry to hear that you had such a crappy experience with TAFE. I guess all course providers can give you the run around at some stage... The only thing is probably search for a few options and give each of them a call and ask them a few questions and the one you like the most you should probably choose them. As far as I read the cheaper is not necessarily the better.. Many course providers also have payment options as well...

I know you mentioned you failed the Diploma but for the units you did complete you should be able to get credit for those and you may only need to be required to do those ones you missed... You may need to check this with the course provider as well.

I understand that you are currently considering IVF... Now working in a centre or even in FDC is very strenuous. There is a lot of manual work of lifting, bending and carrying (equipment and children) and it can get stressful. Once you become pregnant you have to be extremely careful while work with babies because there is an infectious disease that can be transmitted while changing a child's nappy to you and your unborn child which could be harmful. I'm not trying to freak you out or discourage you I just want you to consider that if you become pregnant are you going to continue working in childcare or complete your qualification and stop work through the pregnancy. I know a few educators who have worked right through their pregnancy in childcare without any issues, although they had their limitations of course. Luckily enough while I was pregnant I stopped working and it was the best decision for me (i had a few complications during the pregnancy). I guess it depends on your choice and circumstances. So, just wanted you to know...

In regards to working while studying, yes you can, if you meet the following requirements:

A person who meets all five requirements below may be counted as a diploma qualified educator. They must give the approved provider documentary evidence from their course provider that they meet requirements 2 to 5.

The requirements for actively working towards an approved qualification are:
being enrolled in a course for the qualification
having commenced the course
making satisfactory progress towards completion
meeting the requirements to maintain enrolment
holding an approved certificate III qualification OR having completed the approved certificate III units OR having completed 30% of the units in an approved ECT qualification.

Ref: Actively Working Towards A Qualification

Hope this helps,

Lorina