Observations While On Work Placement

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
gbkc

Observations While On Work Placement

Post by gbkc » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi currently doing my placement and i need some help about these observations provided two boxes with pegs and blocks. Child's name Tayah 2 years old
When she saw the boxes she was very excited she came next to me and I said let's open them she opened both boxes with both hands and got two white pegs and a white block with her right hand and tryed to build something out of them and i asked what colour are the pegs and block ? She said white then she said help me. What skills did the child use to explore ? I said social skills asking for help,creativity and imagination. Eylf outcomes ;children are confident and involved learners children are effective communicators what experiences woul you plan next ? How this experience supported the child's development ? I couldnt think anything to these questions ? Next observation two large cardboards boxes a piece of soft fabric large enough to cover the box and some soft toys teddies,animals etc. She was very curious about the boxes she came next to me and i asked her if she wants to play and hide in the box. Using her body language she said yes then she hid in the box then i put some animals in the box and she smiled and started to play with them and she got out with her right foot and showed me the animals and made the sound of the animals. What skilld did the child use to explore ? How this experience supported the child's development ? Next observation what can you say about the child's social development ? Becomes shy and starts to whine wants independence being asssertive about what she wants and says no to adult request shows empathy to other children likes to use self help skills. What experience would you plan next ?

Lorina

Re: Observations While On Work Placement

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:46 am

For your questions on supporting the child's development you can choose from the following outcomes. Social development will fall under Outcome 3:
How Children Achieve Outcomes

With pegs and blocks you could plan an experience using pattern blocks with picture cards to match the shapes to the design.

For the child with the boxes, you could plan a group game using the parachute.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

gbkc

Post by gbkc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:12 pm

thanks a lot could you please help me with this as well ? what can you say about the child's social development ? Becomes shy and starts to whine wants independence being asssertive about what she wants and says no to adult request shows empathy to other children likes to use self help skills. What experience would you plan next ?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:38 pm

Get her to be more involved in group games... Play games where she could lead such as follow the leader or simon says. Give her more activities where she could develop her self help skills such as setting the table during lunch, packing away the tables at meal times, helping educators set up experiences etc. Give her choices on what she wants to do...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina