Doing practical with open colleges - anyone else struggling?

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Annie28

Doing practical with open colleges - anyone else struggling?

Post by Annie28 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:56 am

Hi,
I'm doing my cert 3 with open colleges. Instead of having someone come and assess me (like the other training providers do)- I instead have to submit so much EVIDENCE
in ´the form of photos, videos and signatures from my workplace.
This has resulted in my workplace getting annoyed and my patience being tried as I work through the SIXTY EIGHT activities they have given me to complete while on prac.
There were so many that some were not completed to great standard as I was overwhelmed.
I'd like to hear from people doing prac with open colleges and with other organisations as I really feel I am getting the short end of the stick and would like to make a complaint.
I think their assignments are great and support has been amazing, it's just the write up involved with the prac which seems over the top!

Lorina

Re: Doing practical with open colleges - anyone else struggling?

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:16 pm

It does sound a bit much doesn't it!

I have had mentored students in my workplace in the past and there wan't so much paperwork involved (this was from TAFE). There were activities that the student need to complete and I had to sign off as I observed them then write up an overall comment on the students performance at the end of each week. After a couple of week the students assessor came to speak to the student and I about their progress. It didn't take up too much of my time...

I really think maybe you should write a written complaint about the amount of paper work involved during placement...

:geek:,
Lorina

Annie28

Post by Annie28 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi Lorina,
Thanks so much for your help. I've since read so many negative things about open colleges. I'm wondering whether workplaces accept a cert 3 from them? Would you have any idea? Really wishing I had gone with another provider! :(

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:54 pm

As long as you have completed the qualification and did the necessary amount of work placement then I dont think it matters where the qualification was obtained.

I know that there are some course providers that are "black listed" but these are primarily ones that offer the cert 3 and diploma course completed in less than 3 months. It sounds like the main issue with Open Collages was just the paperwork so don't stress over it.

Lorina

Maanasa

Post by Maanasa » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:57 am

Hello Annie,
this is manasa doing work placement from open colleges too. I am just tierd of doing these activities too no other online courses have this big workplacement portfolio... it is so annoying to ask educators to click the photos every single time... I feel like giving up with these activities

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:05 pm

Maanasa wrote:Hello Annie,
this is manasa doing work placement from open colleges too. I am just tierd of doing these activities too no other online courses have this big workplacement portfolio... it is so annoying to ask educators to click the photos every single time... I feel like giving up with these activities
Don't give up! I understand how frustrating it can be but try and get through it!

Lorina

Annie28

Post by Annie28 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:33 am

Hi Manasa!
You can get through it! I just handed in my portfolio and have had some changes to make but I think I will get a pass for it. I definitely won't be recommending open colleges to anyone after this...but maybe more providers will take this path in order to save money on visiting centres.
I have to admit that one thing I have really enjoyed is the flexibility that online learning has given me.
But the massive portfolio really sours that! One thing my workplace assessor recommended was that I take the time to fill some of it out during my placement.
It does take time away from being with the children but hey, everyone should be allocated programming time and it will be good to rest those tired pregnant legs!

KatR

Post by KatR » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi Ladies

I'm also through open college and started my prac. My co workers can not believe how much I have to do and also how much they expect my nominated supervisor has to do as well. Very stressed out to the point its keeping me awake at night. Will have to extend as I will not get it all down by the due date of my course ending. Will not recommend them to any one or go through them.

Annie28

Post by Annie28 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi!
Just a quick note to say I DID it, finally, and you can too.
Here's some tips: if you're already working at a centre, a lot of the activities you probably do anyway!
Try to use examples from from what you are doing anyway.
You probably have all the photos already!
My supervisor was very annoyed about the amount of paperwork she had to do. But, it really is just putting her initials a lot of times.
It should be easy really.
Thd portfolio did take me a long time to compile, but I did a lot of it after the prac had finished.
Just try doing the tasks you can do.
Any tasks you're not sure about, call your assessor. There are actually some easier routes to take to prove competence. They want you to pass, they really do. They told me that when someone passes, they ring a bell, and everyone in the office stands up and claps.
So it will take time, but it IS very do able. Lucky you that you work in a centre so it should be easier getting your workmates to help you through it.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:18 am

Annie28 wrote:Hi!
Just a quick note to say I DID it, finally, and you can too.
Here's some tips: if you're already working at a centre, a lot of the activities you probably do anyway!
Try to use examples from from what you are doing anyway.
You probably have all the photos already!
My supervisor was very annoyed about the amount of paperwork she had to do. But, it really is just putting her initials a lot of times.
It should be easy really.
Thd portfolio did take me a long time to compile, but I did a lot of it after the prac had finished.
Just try doing the tasks you can do.
Any tasks you're not sure about, call your assessor. There are actually some easier routes to take to prove competence. They want you to pass, they really do. They told me that when someone passes, they ring a bell, and everyone in the office stands up and claps.
So it will take time, but it IS very do able. Lucky you that you work in a centre so it should be easier getting your workmates to help you through it.
Congratulations! :clap: :thumbup:

Thanks for the great advice as well! Very encouraging and helpful!

Lorina

KatR

Post by KatR » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:52 am

Annie

Thanks for the advise and congrats.
Some days It doesn't feel like I'll ever get it all days. Open College really needs to change the way they do their prac. The amount of work and stress they have put on us is ridiculous.