Classroom vs online study - am I too old?

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
catnap
Helper
Helper

Classroom vs online study - am I too old?

Post by catnap » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi ladies!
I completed a certificate via correspondence last year. My certificate is cert IV OSHC. Unfortunately I cannot 'get a foot in the door' in a school based oshc setting.I did get in, with a company, but due to their SMS system I did not gain any shifts after 6 wks and first in first served. I have also advertised for work on nanny sites and Gumtree and encountered very unreliable people! I am in the process of applying for RPL so I can gain a Cert III in Education and Care. I would like to work as a floater in a childcare centre. However a few people tell me I am too old! (I am turning 55 in a couple of weeks) I am very fit for my age and I also have been told I look younger than 55! So this is my first question.....do you think I am too old to work as a floater in child care?
2nd question....do you feel employers favour a student who attends classroom based study as opposed to someone who studies online? The reason I ask this is, a friend told me when she was studying online Uni,(in aged care) her teacher informed her that employers favour someone who attends classes. The lady said I would not find work. Ok so my plan is to keep trying and see where it leads me.Let me know your thoughts! I feel I don't wish to work full time, just would love a 'foot in the door' as I am sick of knocking and noone is letting me in! and I am not ready to give up yet!
Cheers!
Lesley, Sunshine Coast QLD.

Lorina

Re: Classroom vs online study - am I too old?

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:19 pm

I would not consider you too old for study or for working in childcare! Good on you for doing it! That's fantastic! I think we need more mature woman working in childcare to help and support the little ones!

In regards to your study I don't think it matters whether you study online or in classes to be honest. As long as you gain your qualification is the main thing! I've worked in many centres and it just doesn't matter where you study! It really depends on what you find is more suitable to you. So, I wouldn't worry about what your friend's teacher has said...

Good Luck!

:geek:,
Lorina

catnap
Helper
Helper

Post by catnap » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi Lorina,
thanks so much for your reply and your encouragement as I DO appreciate it! I also feel that if someone has the qualification and they are willing to learn on the job, it doesn't matter how or where they study.My friend doesn't always agree on things, but we are all entitled to own opinion! I thought maybe some people are discriminated because of their age and fitness level with childcare. I have sent my RPL application in and now have to wait for someone to assess it and take it from there! I will keep in touch and let you know early year how I get on. Of course if I need any assistance I will post on your site. I love reading the emails you send out with all the info and it is a great to have the support. Hopefully I will be working in the near future as I feel more options than waiting to get into OSHC (but not entirely ruling that out) I will put my resume around too.
Well, Christmas is not that far away, so I wish you and your family a Merry Xmas and all the best for 2017.
Cheers :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:56 pm

You're definitely on the right track to get yourself started in this industry! I think any centre will be lucky to have you and it's such a breath of fresh air to get a mature person in the industry as we seem to be inundated with youngsters. Children act very differently when being educated by a younger person compared to a more mature person and I feel that a centre that has a mixture of both is more beneficial. I had worked with cert 3 educator who was 20 years older than me and I really enjoyed her perspective on issues and having her work with me in the room. She really helped with my overall sense of responsibility and I don't think I'll ever forget her!

Thank you for your overall support! Happy to hear that you like this website and I'm more than happy to give you any type of support you need!

I can't believe that this year is almost coming to an end! Very best wishes to you in and your family for the new year and please keep in touch!

I'll see you around!

:geek:,
Lorina