separation anxiety of baby

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
babayaga

separation anxiety of baby

Post by babayaga » Sat May 19, 2012 8:23 pm

I am looking for advice on strategies for reducing separation anxiety with a 9 month old baby at my day care centre. Advice wold be much appreciated. Thank you

Lorina

Re: separation anxiety of baby

Post by Lorina » Sat May 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Is this a new baby that has started at the centre?

Has the parents and baby done any orientation visits before starting care?

How many days does this baby come to care?

How long has the baby been in care for?

Sorry about all the questions, just trying to get a better idea so I can suggest some strategies. Another thing, is it for an assignment or regarding a child at your centre?

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Sat May 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Hey, ok so I have a few ideas:
- If its possible, have one of the parents come in with the child for the first few visits, first staying the whole time, then leaving for a short period of time, with the time apart, increasing.

- Have the child bring a favourite toy to distract them with when the parent leaves

- Practice with quick, daily separations (Parent will get baby started with playing with an interesting toy or another person. When the little one is happily engaged, parent will walk slowly, and go briefly into another room. Parent will whistle, sing, hum, or talk so she knows the parent is still there, even though she can’t see the parent. Carry out these brief separations off and on throughout the day in a variety of different situations.). This kind of goes with the first point.

- make the change with the baby in a neutral place, such as playing on the floor or sitting in a swing, highchair or baby seat. The carer will sit next to the baby and engage their attention as the parent says a quick, happy good-bye. As soon as the parent is gone is the best time for the carer The advantage is that the caregiver will be put in the position of rescuer and can help them with their relationship.

- Dont rush the parting
- Create a goodbye routine with the parent so that the child learns that this is part of the day and he/she will see mum soon.

These are a few off the top of my head, If I remember more, Ill put them up.
:)

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Wed May 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Sorry I did write back a long reply and it just vanished off my screen! Thank you for your suggestions. I am now dealing with a 3 year old boy who has been at the centre longer than I and always cries as he watches his mum (with new baby) leave. The other staff tell me to leave him alone, but his mum is distressed about it and tells me he does't cry at the other place he goes to. My intuition is he shouldn't be here - for reasons I have posted elsewhere...