Cert III Work Placement - Volunteer

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
jediharrison

Cert III Work Placement - Volunteer

Post by jediharrison » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi all,

I have started my part time Cert III Early Childhood Education & Care Course last week. I called up about 20 centres today and lucky enough there is one centre that would take me as volunteer student in their facility and start from tomorrow already.

I am very VERY nervous and scared at the same time. I still have no much knowledge or experience in this field and I do not want to give up. The centre offers me 5 days practical placement which I am not sure if they are going to pay me minimum wage? Does volurteer mean I work 40 hours and get paid nothing? Is that legal or? Because it is kind of urgent and a shock that she asked me to start that quick already so I have to know more about this industry before I sign anything. I go to school on Saturdays and during the week I have part time job to support my living expense, I'm just confused whether to quit my job or not.

I am just really nervous! It is getting into my vein system! My background is Hong Kong Chinese and I am so scared there will be discriminate/racist issues or language confusion :(( Can anyone share their volunteer experience on here? I'll be very grateful to hear some good feedbacks to cheer myself a little x

Lorina

Re: Cert III Work Placement - Volunteer

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi,

Have you found the information you are looking for?

As you will be a student you do not get paid for work placement. Work placement is for you to gain experience and knowledge as well as a chance to get an opportunity to complete assignments that you will need to do during work placement.

I understand you will be nervous but I can assure you its going to be alright! After a couple of days once you are familiar with the routine and the staff and children you will settle down and start to enjoy yourself more! Just make sure that you ask for help or understanding if you are unsure of anything!

I really hope you enjoy it!

:geek:,
Lorina