Cert 3 Vs Diploma

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Bree!

Cert 3 Vs Diploma

Post by Bree! » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:08 pm

I recently started by Cert 3 in early education & care with Tafe. I now think I have made a mistake and should have just enrolled in the Diploma from the start. I was thinking about un-enrolling and then re-enrolling in the diploma with Open Collaeges?? Can anyone give me some advice on what they think i should do?

Lorina

Re: Cert 3 Vs Diploma

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:15 am

It really depends what type of educator role you want to do... A Cert 3 qualified educator works as an assistant within the room while a Diploma educator can work as a room leader...

Here is also some more information about the differences between each qualification:

The Certificate III course is designed to help you develop the core skills to work as an early childhood educator​, working with children in long day care and family day care services.
The Diploma course is designed to help you develop core early childhood educator skills PLUS the knowledge and abilities to work as an early childhood education centre manager, family day care coordinator or group leader.

1. Difficulty in Units

It’s fair to say the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care is the more difficult qualification, particularly when you are just starting out. It has 10 extra units (28 vs 18) and assesses a lot of extra skills required to become a centre manager, family day care coordinator or group leader.

For example, the Certificate III has the unit CHCECE010​ that teaches you how to support the holistic development of children. In the Diploma course, you will be taught how to actually design and implement a development curriculum in unit CHECECE024​. This is one of the many advanced skills unique to the Diploma.

2. Vocational Placement Requirements

The Certificate III in Early Childhood Education requires a minimum of 120 hours spent in a vocational placement in a registered Australian Early Childhood Education centre. The Diploma requires a minimum of 240 hours spent in a vocational placement in a registered Australian Early Childhood Education centre. If you want to gain more work experience, you can earn as much as 240 hours with the Certificate III and 480 hours with the Diploma.

Remember that you can’t complete more than 240 hours of your placement in a 12 month period, which makes it a little harder to organise and finish.

3. Time

The Certificate III is a shorter course because of the differences above. It is designed to take only 1 year versus 2 years for the Diploma. This means you can get qualified sooner and have your completed certificate to show potential employers.

4. Cost

Finally, the Certificate III qualification is significantly cheaper than its Diploma level counterpart. This is simply because the Certificate III course is shorter, so there are less training and assessment costs involved. The Diploma is still an important qualification to have, however, when you are ready to advance your career.

Ref: Cert 3 Being Phased Out

Hope this helps you to decide,

:geek:,
Lorina

Bree!

Post by Bree! » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:31 am

Thank you Lorina, that helps so much :) I do want to be a room leader, but I think that I will stick with the Cert 3 so that when I undertake the Dip I will have a better understanding. :) Thanks for your input :)

ljackson

Post by ljackson » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:10 pm

I am doing my cert 3 at the moment and then plan on going ahead and doing diploma. My understanding is that they will deduct units off the diploma given that you have already completed cert 3 (if that makes sense)?

Bree!

Post by Bree! » Sun May 22, 2016 10:13 am

[ref]ljackson[/ref], Thanks, I also believce this is true :) Sorry I took so long to thank you x