Being Made To Do All The Cleaning During Work Placement

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Adid

Being Made To Do All The Cleaning During Work Placement

Post by Adid » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi,

I had a very bad experience in my placement.
Does anyone knows what are our child care placement rights?
In my placement they asked me to do so many things that I don't think I should do. Like cleaning the toilets, all the doors and windows, chairs, tables, floor etc...
Is that supposed to be that way? Who is making and supervising our rights?

Thank you!

Lorina

Re: Being Made To Do All The Cleaning During Work Placement

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:37 am

Unfortunately some child care centres take advantage of students and turn them into cleaning people. You're not the first student to complain and you'll probably won't be the last... Since you are "volunteering" your time at the centre, you pretty much get dealt with the crappiest jobs rather than observe and learn through some hands on experience! Don't get me wrong you are required to do cleaning but not EVERYTHING like it seems you are doing. First place to start is your Director at the centre. Have a chat with them about some of the tasks you have been made to do. Tell them that you are aware that cleaning is required which you are happy to do fairly and while on work placement you are also expected to get assessment tasks done and have an opportunity to interact with the children to get some hands on experience which you haven't been able to do because you have been cleaning. Give the Director an example of your daily routine at the centre so you have evidence to support you. Most of the time, Directors are not aware of what exactly has been happening and so you just need to let them know so they can help you resolve it. If, you have been to the Director next step if your course supervisor/assessor and let them know as well...

Have you spoken to the Director about this issue?

:geek:,
Lorina