Work legally and ethically

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
TheresaGasparin

Work legally and ethically

Post by TheresaGasparin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Hello I'm new here

Im currently studying Certificate III In Early Childhood Education & Care and I was wondering if there was someone available that could help me?
I need to answer these questions below

Q1: In signing Joseph out to his Aunt Sherri, has the staff member committed a potential breach of policy, an actual breach or no breach at all?

Answer: Yes this is a breach of Policy.
Only parents/guardians and authorised nominees are permitted to collect the child.

Q2: Suggest two appropriate actions that would be required to address this breach.

Would i have to report this to my director or confront my co-worker? Im not sure what to do here. I can seem to find any information about breach of policy?

Q3: Describe two proactive solutions you can suggest to Aminata to improve the policy and practices relating to the collection of children.
"
Action 1: Aminata could ask the parents if she could add Aunt Sherri to Josephs Enrolment form?
"
Action 2: Call the parent to get authorisation?

Q4: Is discussing babysitting jobs inside of the service potential or actual unethical conduct?
Select the correct answer.

Answer - It is unethical conduct.

Q5: Suggest two appropriate actions that you would take in this situation.

Action 1: Confront my co- worker and discuss the issue with them?
Action 2: If that does not work then i would need to report it to my centre director?

Q6: Briefly describe 2 alternative strategies to ensure Joseph feels welcomed and accepted. Include the source that you used. Word count- 100 words or less.

Am i on track?

Lorina

Re: Work legally and ethically

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Sorry would you be able to include the scenario?

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:28 pm

Just so I can get a better understanding of what the questions are referring to...

Lorina

TheresaGasparin

Post by TheresaGasparin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Lorna,

Here are they are.
I am having trouble with question two. Suggest two appropriate actions that would be required to address this breach. Would i have to remind of her about duties/responsibilities as a child care worker for this question?

Scenario 1 At pick up today Jessica signed out a child, Joseph Whitaker (3), to his Aunt Sherri.
Sherri is well known to you and others at the centre, as she comes every Thursday afternoon with her sister Louise, Joseph’s mother, to pick him up.
Today though, Aunt Sherri has come alone. However, she is not listed as an authorised person to collect Joseph.

Q1: In signing Joseph out to his Aunt Sherri, has the staff member committed a potential breach of policy, an actual breach or no breach at all?
Yes this is a breach of Policy.
Only parents/guardians and authorised nominees are permitted to collect the child.

Q2: Suggest two appropriate actions that would be required to address this breach.

Q3: Describe two proactive solutions you can suggest to Aminata to improve the policy and practices relating to the collection of children.
Solution 1: Aminata could ask the parents if Aunt Sherri could be added to Joseph’s Enrolment form
Solution 2: Call the parent to get authorisation?

Teresa occasionally babysits for some of the families whose children attend the service. Aminata doesn’t mind that some of the staff earn additional money doing this as long as they make all appointments out of hours and always maintain the privacy of the service and the families who attend it.
You are working with Teresa at the art table when one of the mother's approaches and starts to discuss babysitting times with Teresa. It doesn’t take long for the conversation to turn to other areas and Teresa and the mother are openly gossiping, within hearing of the children. You can clearly hear what they are saying and as it turns out so can Tom, the son of the parent being discussed!

Q4: Is discussing babysitting jobs inside of the service potential or actual unethical conduct?
Select the correct answer.
My Answer: Unethical Conduct?

Q5: Suggest two appropriate actions that you would take in this situation.
My Answers:
Action 1: Confront my co- worker and discuss the issue with them?
Action 2: If that does not work then i would need to report it to my centre director?

Q6: Briefly describe 2 alternative strategies to ensure Joseph feels welcomed and accepted. Include the source that you used. Word count- 100 words or less.
My answer so far
Celebrating or discussing different ways and different holidays that the families celebrate together help children to feel comfortable with those different from them.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:50 pm

TheresaGasparin wrote:QR_BBPOST Q2: Suggest two appropriate actions that would be required to address this breach.

Even though Aunt Sherri is known like you mentioned she doesn't have the authority to sign Joseph out of care. Joseph's mother should have been contacted to confirm that Aunt Sherri was to pick up Joseph from the centre. Once this has been confirmed by 2 educators, then she would be able to sign him out of care. The next day when Joseph mother arrives, she should authorise Aunt Sherri to pick up Joseph on the authorization form in the enrollment records.

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Sorry I'll get back to your other questions asap...

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:34 pm

TheresaGasparin wrote:QR_BBPOST Q5: Suggest two appropriate actions that you would take in this situation.

You could say something like "I'm sorry but due to privacy and confidentiality policies I cannot allow you to discuss other parents within the centre, gossiping about families is unacceptable and I'm going to have to ask you to reframe from having such conversations".

Yes, the Director will need to be informed of this issue as well.

Lorina

TheresaGasparin

Post by TheresaGasparin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help :)

Am i on track for the rest of my Answers so far?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:21 am

Yes, you are! :thumbup:

Lorina

TheresaGasparin

Post by TheresaGasparin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:11 am

Thank you Lorina,

Am i on track?

Case Study

Imagine that you are an educator in a family day care setting supervising the three children in the photograph.

Describe, in the table, what you would do to meet your legal and ethical obligations to these children playing in the water trough in the back yard and who you would report these to.

Legal Obligations:
National Quality Standard,
Quality Area 2:
Children’s Health and Safety

Ethical Obligations:
Fulfilling my duty of care obligations under the law by ensuring that the safety and wellbeing of the children are protected at all times while promoting their learning and development.

Who to report to: To the Health and Safety Representative