Understanding Children Behaviour

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
landa123

Understanding Children Behaviour

Post by landa123 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi Lorina,
Please help me with this Case Study C – Understanding Children Behaviour: This is my second attempt.
Scenario:
After the incident on Jake’s first day in the centre, you decided to conduct further research on Jake’s case to be able to understand and assist him better. For the rest of the week, you recorded your observations on Jake’s behaviour:
On the second day, Jake fought with other kids in the centre twice during the day. Both fights started over a disagreement while playing games. Jake does not like losing and often resorts to name calling and hitting when he cannot have his way. When you talked to him about his behaviour, he displayed severe signs of anxiety and frustration and ended up isolating himself for the rest of the day.

On the third day, Jake had a fight with another kid in the centre over losing a group race because one of his teammates did not follow the race instructions correctly. He blamed his teammate for losing the game and used bad language to express his frustration.
On the fourth day, Jake pushed Lisa, a 5 year old girl who also goes to the centre, after she refused to share her snacks with him. When Lisa started crying and telling Jake she would tell her mum what he did, Jake started to panic and started crying himself.
On the fifth day, Jake had a fight again with some of the kids because they didn’t want to include him in their games. Jake started throwing things at them and when you tried to calm him down, he started having another severe panic attack.

Question is to Create a report offering your findings from your observation as additional support to your supervisor. In your report you must includes: Title: Indicate topic/main findings. Summary: The message of your report
⦁ Outline of your:
⦁ methods,
⦁ findings,
⦁ conclusions,
⦁ implications,
⦁ recommendations

introduction: Aim, scope and limitations
⦁ Background or context
⦁ May include an overall answer
⦁ Outline of report structure

Body:Provides justification for recommendation(s)
⦁ Presents methods and findings
⦁ Is based on evidence
⦁ Keeps the discussion concise

Conclusion: Restates position/key message
⦁ Presents and evaluates possible solutions

Recommendations: Suggests appropriate policy/actions

Please look What I have written down : My Title is : Observations on Jack's behavior to assist him better.

Name of child: Jack
Child's age: 5 years old
Date : Monday, April 21, 2107
Time: 9:20 Am-9:30 Am
Setting: Playing games; group race
Observer: Linda

To assist Jack to change his bad behavior.

Five years old Jack's use of violent tendencies, bad language, hitting, pushing, and has anxiety issues and panic behaviors that has been a challenge for the rest of the week. Jack's behavior may require support strategies which to ensure that other kids feel safe in the environment.

Through my observations, I observed Jack's behavior for the rest of the week, his behaviour might cause hurt to other children. On day second, Jack fought with other kids twice over a disagreement while playing games. He was using bad language and hitting them and also I talked to him about his behavior as it might hurt them. He displayed severe signs of anxiety and frustrated and ended up isolation himself for the rest of the day, but he was continuing with his act. on the third day, he had another fight again with other kid because he lose a group race and blaming his friend for losing the game and used bad language to express his frustration. On the fourth day, Jake pushed Lisa, a 5 year old girl because she refused to share her snacks with him. On the fifth day, Jake had a fight again with some of the kids because they didn’t want to play with him in their games. Jake started throwing things at them and when I tried to calm him down, he started having another severe panic attack. So, I discussed about his behaviors with other educator and trying to understand why he is doing all this. We decided when ever Jack hits, use of bad language / pushes we would repeat the rules then distract him. " I don't like it when you are pushing other kids or hurts them , then provide a new toy or activity to settle him. By not removing Jack from the situation we are allowing him a chance to develop his self regulation and to increase his awareness of the needs and right other.

Based on the observation of Jack's behaviour, he has violent tendencies and uses bad of language while playing with other children. He also had anxiety issues and panic attacks. The strategy that I used for dealing with Jack's bad behaviour during indoor play I was telling him that it is wrong as it might hurt other children, but he did not stop his bad behaviour.