Teaching Children Good Hygiene Practices

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
momotayeasmin
Contributor
Contributor

Teaching Children Good Hygiene Practices

Post by momotayeasmin » Fri May 22, 2015 7:35 pm

1....List three strategies Educators can use to teach children about good hygiene practices?
• Choose snacks that are appropriate to the age of the child. Note: Up to 2-2½ years of age, small hard pieces of food such as nuts and seeds, carrots, apples and celery should be avoided as they could be inhaled and induce choking in young children.

• Tap water (boiled till 12 months of age) is the best drink in-between meals and at bedtime.
• Provide water for children to drink and rinse their mouth with after meals.
2.....What practices can Educators use to promote oral hygiene and prevent tooth decay?
• Children have high nutritional requirements so they usually need to have more frequent meals. It is appropriate to provide 6 small meals for children daily. However, it is important to limit the number of times sugary snacks are offered as they are a major cause of tooth decay.

Is it correct?
Last edited by Lorina on Sat May 23, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lorina

Re: Teaching Children Good Hygiene Practices

Post by Lorina » Sat May 23, 2015 8:02 pm

Hygiene could be like: washing hands before and after eating and after going to the toilet...

Promoting Oral Hygiene could be like: eating a piece of apple after meals or sip, swish and swallow after food to clean mouth with after or brushing teeth after meal...

:geek:,
Lorina

anupreetham.radha
Participator
Participator

Post by anupreetham.radha » Thu May 28, 2015 1:50 am

Glitter hands (fun way of teaching about hand wash):
Some children only rinse their hands quickly under water, if they wash at all. But hands should be scrubbed with an antibacterial soap for at least 15 to 20 seconds. Sprinkle glitter on a child’s hands and challenge him off to wash the glitter with soap and water. Because glitter is naturally sticky, it will take up to 30 seconds to scrub the glitter away. Then indicate that he should scrub off germs like he did the glitter each time that he washes. Washing hands can greatly reduce the spread of germs.
Germ transfer:
Teach children about the spread of germs by showing how germs can live on hands and the things they touch. Pretend to sneeze, and cover the hands in a washable paint. Then go about your business, touching things around your place. The kids will see the transfer of germs. After the exercise, have the kids find and tally all the surfaces where germs now live from your transferring them around the room.
Good habit Bad habit:
Take 20 pieces of paper and write down 10 good habits such as flossing each night, washing for 20 seconds or covering the mouth when cough and 10 bad habits. Fold all the pieces of paper and place them in a hat. The children can draw out one at a time and decide whether it’s a good hygiene habit or a bad hygiene habit.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu May 28, 2015 6:39 am

That's fine! I know you got these from another user who helped you with your response in the following topic:

Assisting Children Learn Rules

So you will need to reference this site in your response when you submit your assignment and use your own words. You have copied it exactly...

Lorina

anupreetham.radha
Participator
Participator

Post by anupreetham.radha » Thu May 28, 2015 11:13 am

For assisting children to learn rules and teaching good hygiene practices, i gave same answers with the intention to help her to get some ideas about it. if anything wrong with it, sorry for that. Because i am also still learning to reply for my assignments.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu May 28, 2015 12:34 pm

anupreetham.radha wrote:For assisting children to learn rules and teaching good hygiene practices, i gave same answers with the intention to help her to get some ideas about it. if anything wrong with it, sorry for that. Because i am also still learning to reply for my assignments.
No nothing wrong with it! Thank you so much for your information. I was just letting her know that she shouldn't copy your answer only to get an idea and she needs to credit this site for your idea. I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Lorina

anupreetham.radha
Participator
Participator

Post by anupreetham.radha » Fri May 29, 2015 5:59 am

(No nothing wrong with it! Thank you so much for your information. I was just letting her know that she shouldn't copy your answer only to get an idea and she needs to credit this site for your idea. I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Lorina )

Thanks Lorina... Have a good day....
:)

Cherylee

Post by Cherylee » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:47 am

Encouraging children to develop good hygiene, can be done through modelling good hygiene practices yourself, you can also make up fun and interactive games or display posters that promote good hygiene practices so the children want to do it, prompting children to wash there hands before and after certain activities or toileting, eating, playing etc will also assist in encouraging a routine to develop good hygiene that the children will learn and remember.