Support the holistic development of children in early childhood

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
nawnaw
Participator
Participator

Support the holistic development of children in early childhood

Post by nawnaw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:05 am

HI all, just wondering if I'm on the right track with my answers? Also i'm unsure about my answers for question 3 so any help is much appreciated :) thank you

Question 1:
Select the correct answer by circling either ‘True’ or ‘False.’

a) Finding a balance between safety and healthy risk-taking for children is not a challenging part of an early childhood educator’s job.
True/False
b) Motor skills are the sequences of movements children use when muscles of the body are coordinated to perform particular action.
True/False
c) Children participate during indoor and outdoor activities, so both these areas should not be considered when supporting their physical development.
True/False
d) Encouraging challenges, choice and spontaneity means children should be able to choose between quiet and active play, open and private spaces; challenged by open-ended materials and equipment so as to learn different skills depending on their different skills and interests.
True/False
e) A typical play experience should not involve taking turns, sharing, negotiating and cooperating.
True/False
f) Pro-social behaviour is the manner we interact by helping, sharing, comforting, showing empathy and kindness to name a few.
True/False
g) Respecting individual differences is not important in the education of young children. Children do not need to see diversity in their daily lives.
True/False
h) Including children with additional needs in all types of play for all areas of development is beneficial for everyone concerned.
True/False
i) For effective communication to take place children’s social play should include opportunities to allow them to express themselves and listen to others (receptive skills).
True/False
j) Social milestones differ among children.
True/False
k) At some stage children may experience anxiety at being separated from their parent or primary caregiver, also known as ‘separation anxiety’.
True/False
l) Milestones are the markers that identify particular stage of development that has been reached.
True/False
m) To stimulate early brain development, engaging “children in discussions about symbol systems, for example, letters, numbers, time, money and musical notation” is a good start.
True/False

Question 2:
For this section please provide short answers.

a) Explain the difference between separation anxiety and stranger anxiety.
The difference between separation anxiety and stranger anxiety is that separation anxiety is when a child becomes upset and distressed when their primary caregiver leaves them. Stranger anxiety is when a child becomes upset and distressed when new people that they haven't met before arrive.
b) How could you model and support care, empathy and respect for others through play experiences?
Ways in which I could model these are by engaging with the children in their play experiences and displaying the appropriate responses that would be shown. When in the preschool room I would engage in an activity that allows for me to scaffold the children's current understanding on taking turns and treating other's with fairness, such as playing a parachute game. As this allows for all that I outlined above as well as including showing care and kindness.
c) How could you support children’s efforts and ensure they experience pride and confidence in their achievements?
Supporting a child's pride and confidence is highly important as this allows strengthening of their own positive disposition. As every child is their own individual and have their own different emotions and senses of achievement, praising a child for doing their best and trying their hardest must be genuine.
d) Which National Quality Standard emphasises children’s health and wellbeing?
Quality Area 2.
e) How does the following impact on early childhood development?
- poor diet,
Poor diet can not only cause issues for the child currently, but also increases their likelihood of long-term issues which can also impact on the child's self-esteem. There have also been studies that have shown that children who have been hospitalised due to under nutrition are significantly smaller than those who have not experienced under nutrition.
- lack of play,
The EYLF has a strong emphasis on play-based learning. It explains how play allows for children to take risks, discover, create new understandings, enhance their want to learn and challenge each other's understandings which ultimately helps to create a child's sense of 'being'. Without having the opportunity for play children lack the chance to develop their own intellectual, social and physical growth. - limited stimulation of brain development
By the time a child reaches the age of five their brain has already developed to around 90% of its adult weight. This leads to showing how crucial it is for constant cognitive stimulation. Sensory, motor, emotional and intellectual activities all help in strengthening their brain development.
f) Provide a few suggestions on how to support children when they:
- are frustrated or overly challenged
Beginning by sitting them down away from whatever is making them frustrated can help as it can clear their mind from what is in front of them. Praising their current efforts can also help children to take on some pride in their current attempts. Communicating with the child whilst comforting them and ensuring them that their emotions are important and are being heard and having conversations with the child about ways in which they could display this emotion.
- when they make mistakes
Acknowledge that they have made a mistake, but don't make a big deal out of the situation. Encourage the child to take responsibility for their mistake and praise them for their ability to recognise that they have in fact made a mistake. Help them to apologise if needed. Ensure them that mistakes happen with everyone.

Question 3:
Match the following by writing the correct alphabet answer in the middle column on how children show attachment relationships.
Behaviour Answer
(a or b or c) Characteristics
Refueling c. The child may periodically return to the caregiver they are attached to with a toy or activity, or just to make sure they are still in place. The child will also return to the caregiver when frightened, hurt or upset.

Anchoring b. The child may move off to explore but not move too far from the caregiver they are attached to.
The child will ensure this caregiver is close by, just in case and will be confused and concerned if the caregiver moves away unexpectedly.

Social referencing a. The child may watch emotional responses and respond in a similar way to a caregiver they are attached to.
For example, if a spider is crawling on the wall, the child may copy the response of the caregiver. If the caregiver screams, the child screams; if the caregiver says, ‘Hey, look how many legs it has!’ the child will show interest.

Lorina

Re: Support the holistic development of children in early childhood

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:46 pm

I think that you're on the right track with your response...

:geek:,
Lorina