Scenarios: Fred, Julie & Jack - Engaging In Play

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
seep
Contributor
Contributor

Scenarios: Fred, Julie & Jack - Engaging In Play

Post by seep » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:11 pm

scenario
In the following scenario what you think Fred should do?Describe your response in the space provided?
Fred is a child care worker and has arranged the use of on outdoor soccer field for his groupof four year olds.He sits the group down and explains the basic rules of soccer and then begins the game with them.Fred has arranged the children in two groupsto play the game.As Fred blows his whistle to begin the game children begin to run all over the field and one child picks the ball up (against the rules) and throws the ball.children then ask if they can have more balls.
MY Ans----In my opinion, Fred should politely tell the child who threw the ball against the rules that if everyone starts ignoring the rules then there will be no fun in the game as game can only be enjoyed if the rules are followed. After that, Fred should assemble the children and announce the rules once again.
After making sure that every child has heard the rules and understood that rules are to be followed in order to enjoy the play, Fred should participate in the soccer game and kick the ball to show the example. Fred should also actively participate in the game by continuously monitoring and mentoring the children about the soccer game.

----
14-In the following scenario what you think Julie should do? also describe how she can extend this play and use the resources flexibly? describe your responses in the space provided.

Julie is a child care worker and is in the room during indoor play. she is on the ma with a group of children (mixed age) and showing them how to play instruments that are on display. the children show a real interest in the instruments and three of them go a short distence from Julie and pretend to play together as a band would

My Ans---In my opinion, Julie, after noticing the keen interest shown by children, should then invite one of the children to try playing the music instruments themselves. Then she should divide the children in different groups and ask them to pretend and play as a music group to create their own songs or ape the songs they might already have watched on TV.
Once kids are fully engaged in the activity, she should go to each group and appreciate how beautiful their music is and tell them how much she loved it. She should also observe and make sure that each kid is participating in the activity and no one is being ignored. At the end of activity, she can clap for all groups of children.

-----------
15-In the following scenario describe what you think Jack should do and include in your response to the following questions:
-is the teacher encouraging or pressuring the child to participate?
-how are they doing this?
-Do you agree with this approach?
-what would you do differently or the same?
-did the childcare worker respect the child's decision not to participate? how/how not?

Jack is a childcare worker and has noticed Sam (aged three)wandering alone in the outdoor environment. Jack acknowledges that this behavior is unusual for a normally sociable Sam. Jack approaches Sam and asks if she is ok, Sam nods. Jack asks Sam, "would you like to come and cook in the cubby with me Sam?'(knowing this is one of Sam's favorite activities) Sam looks down and does not respond." come on Sammy I know you love cooking chocolate cake..." Jack urges Sam, Sam looks at Jack and smiles, she takes Jack's hand and begins to walk over the cubby
-----------------
please have a look and tell whether my responses are fine or do i need to add something else?thanks in advance

seep
Contributor
Contributor

Re: scenarios related with children's play and learning

Post by seep » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:12 pm

In my opinion, Jack is doing the right thing in this scenario. It is clear that Sam, who is a sociable child, is bored in this situation due to unknown reason. After noticing Sam wandering alone, Jack should have tried to engage him in any activity that Sam enjoys doing. If I was in this situation, I would have done the same i.e. engaging him in an activity of his interest. This approach helps children relieve their mind from boredom and they feel encouraged. I do not think that Sam had any particular decision of not participating in activities, it was just that moment that he did not like to do what other children might have been doing

sorry forgot to paste the response for last one so here it is.thanks again

Sahithya

Re: scenarios related with children's play and learning

Post by Sahithya » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:55 pm

If they choose any play or activity with their own interest, kids will be involved in the game more.

Lorina

Re: Scenarios: Fred, Julie & Jack - Engaging In Play

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:55 am

I think all the responses are good! :thumbup:

For the first one (Fred), it seems like the children are not keen to play soccer and have asked for more balls. So instead Fred should give the children more balls and those children who are interested in playing soccer can play and those who aren't can play with the other balls.

:geek:,
Lorina

seep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seep » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:15 am

thanks a lot :) will add the other suggestion as well

seep
Contributor
Contributor