Scenario: Sophie - Administering The Right Medication

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
melissaa

Scenario: Sophie - Administering The Right Medication

Post by melissaa » Mon May 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi there,

I am currently working on a case study and I am a bit stuck with understanding a question. I was wondering if I could ask for some guidance:

You are working as an early childhood educator in Sparkling Stars Childcare Centre. You are in charge of taking care of Sophie, a four and a half year old student with severe asthma. She also has severe allergies to dust and pollen which trigger her asthma attacks.
Scenario 1: After an outdoor activity around 8:30 in the morning you noticed that Sophie started sneezing and coughing. You suspect that the dust from running around in the playground may have triggered her allergies. You checked her records to review if she has any prescription medications for this kind of situation. Provided in the link below is Sophie’s authorisation to administer medication form:

(medication in form)

Children’s Allegra Allergy
1 teaspoonful every 12 hours
As needed

Advair Diskus 100/50
1 inhalation, 2x daily
9am (9pm is given at home)

Your Task: You know that Sophie takes Allegra for acute allergic episodes. However, you also know that she is due for her Advair treatment in the next 30mins. Make a video recording of yourself administering the right medication to Sophie. To ensure your successful completion of this task, please see the guidelines provided below

Answer reflections:
Sophie is only coughing and sneezing which to me is not enough just yet to confirm she is having an asthma attack. It might just be her allergies. But it also says that her allergies trigger her asthma attacks... So it's a bit confusing. They ask to administer "the right medication" which to me means I have to pick one, not both.
I think I'd start with giving her the medication for allergy first (and pick that one for the video) as she is due for her Ventolin in 30 mins and she is only coughing and sneezing at this stage. But I am torn because her allergies trigger her asthma and I could also give her asthma medication just 30 mins in advance to prevent a possible asthma attack... It's just a bit confusing.

Now in the question they say "you suspect that the dust from running around in the playground may have triggered her allergies", they don't talk about an asthma attack. And in the next scenario (not mentioned in this message) there are additional symptoms such as wheezing and difficulty in breathing and they say "you suspect she is having an asthma attack". So that tells me that maybe they just want me to do the allergy treatment first and then the asthma. But I'm still a bit confused. If someone has any idea or had to deal with that question before, I would really appreciate some help :)

Thank you very much for your time and help! :)

Melissa.

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Sophie - Administering The Right Medication

Post by Lorina » Tue May 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi Melissa,

I had a research of both medications in the scenario above and Children’s Allegra Allergy is used to treat allergy symptoms such as watery eyes, stuffy nose, sneezing. Advair Diskus is used to relax the airways to improve breathing. So, based on this I would probably administer Allegra Allergy first to deal with the allergies.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue May 23, 2017 8:41 pm

I did search to see if these can be mixed, taken together and some people often do take both these medicines together to relieve allergy symptoms as well as asthma attacks. So, from what I have read it doesn't do harm and also you are going to give them 30 minutes apart from each other.

You could also ring you local GP and ask them if you're not sure... I'm sure they will be able to let you know if you could administer Allegra first...

Lorina

melissaa

Post by melissaa » Wed May 24, 2017 12:04 am

Thank you for your help Lorina !

Melissa.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed May 24, 2017 12:35 am

You're most welcome, Melissa!

Lorina

Veron
Participator
Participator

Post by Veron » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi Melissa ,

I am stuck with this question too . Not really understand what they want me to do for this question ?
What kind of the video recording i should take for this ?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:30 pm

You have to make a video administering the right medication...

Lorina

Veron
Participator
Participator

Post by Veron » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thanks for your reply and advise . Appreciated . I have done the video.

Kind regards,
Veronica

katiemaree13

Post by katiemaree13 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:40 am

Hi Lorina,

I understand the first question. However in the next part it says she wakes up an hour later sneezing and coughing uncontrollably, then starts wheezing and showing signs of difficulty in breathing. They now want you to administer another medication, which I'm confused on what to administer because if you administer the allergy one originally, then half hour later you administer the Advair Diskus, I'm not sure what medication you could give her now?

If you could push me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated!

Katie :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:33 am

Hi Katie,

I would probably suggest the allergy one again...

Lorina

katiemaree13

Post by katiemaree13 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:16 am

Thanks Lorina :)

Much appreciated!

Katie

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:55 pm

You're welcome!

Lorina

australia
Participator
Participator

Post by australia » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:54 pm

I am stuck with this question..
Scenario 3: Sophie fell asleep soon after her asthma symptoms have calmed down. However, half an hour into her nap, Sophie woke up coughing and wheezing uncontrollably. You rushed to her bedside and knew she required first aid for her severe asthma attack.
After administering asthma first aid to Sophie, her condition still continued to worsen. You decided to call emergency assistance. You then asked the assistant educator on duty to keep an eye on Sophie and keep giving her first aid medication according to the prescribed procedure while you contact the ambulance.

Your Task: Make a video recording of yourself demonstrating the successful completion of the following tasks:
3.1 providing first aid to Sophie as prescribed in her asthma care plan
3.2 provide instructions to the assistant educator on how to administer the first aid medication while you contact the ambulance

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:37 am

Yes you will need to make a video of this... administering first aid and telling Assistant what to do... maybe you can record it on your phone, use a doll or sibling as Sophie etc.

Lorina

australia
Participator
Participator

Post by australia » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:39 pm

Thank you so much Lorina!!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:49 pm

You’re welcome!