Scenario: Lucy - Completing A Mandatory Reporting Guide

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
tara13

Scenario: Lucy - Completing A Mandatory Reporting Guide

Post by tara13 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:13 pm

Lucy is six months old and attends an education and care service Mon, Wed and Friday. Lucy’s mother is Aboriginal and a night packer at the local shops so dad drops Lucy off and mum picks her up. They live in a community where police often visit due to frequency of violence. It is Monday and Lucy’s father drops her off. Lucy has just started to sit up whilst aided with soft pillows around her. You attempt to sit Lucy down but she screams and puts her hands up for you. Lucy’s father tells you she has been like this all morning and he has had enough and needs to get to work and he leaves.
You decide to check Lucy’s nappy when you notice the nappy is soaked through; she has a nappy rash that has resulted in her bottom bleeding and a large red hand print at the top of her leg. Lucy is screaming as you attempt to place a clean nappy on her. You gently place nappy cream on her bottom as permission has been granted on the enrolment form and pick Lucy up to console her.

g) NSW students must also complete the Mandatory Reporter Guide using the information you have for the Lucy scenario..
Ans:
Mandatory Reporter Guide
From 24 January 2010, mandatory reporters are encouraged to use the Mandatory Reporter Guide, to guide their decision making and determine whether or not to report to the Child Protection Helpline under the new risk of significant harm reporting threshold.

The interactive online Mandatory Reporter Guide has been developed to assist front-line mandatory reporters such as police officers, teachers, nurses, social workers, and NGO staff to determine whether a case meets the new risk of significant harm threshold for reporting children and young people at risk in NSW. A PDF version of the Guide is also available for those without internet access. The Mandatory Reporter Guide is updated in response to user feedback. A listing of the differences between the current third edition and the previous edition is available.

The Mandatory Reporter Guide is based on research findings (customised for use in NSW) from the Structured Decision Making model developed by the Childrens Research Center, a US-based non-profit social research organisation. While Structured Decision Making tools have been implemented across the US, Canada, and Australia (South Australia and Queensland), the Mandatory Reporter Guide is the first Structured Decision Making tool to be developed for use across a wide range of non-statutory agencies who deliver services to children, young people, and families.

The Mandatory Reporter Guide was developed after extensive consultation, as well as detailed user acceptance testing.

In November 2009, Dr Raelene Freitag of the Childrens Research Center gave a Mandatory Reporter Guide presentation as part of a workshop for mandatory reporters involved in its development.

I just need to use this guide with the information I received in the scenario. Within the guide it will detail what i need to do next.
Guide to making a child protection report
What to do when children and young people are at risk of significant harm
This guide to Making a Child Protection Report - What to do when children and young people are at risk of significant harm, is for mandatory and non mandatory reporters who need to make reports of child abuse or neglect to the Child Protection Helpline.

This is part of the NSW Keep Them Safe reforms for child wellbeing, which aim to provide:

a streamlined statutory child protection system
effective referral systems
coordinated services and shared information
a new model for the intake and referral of child protection concerns, including the establishment of Child Wellbeing Units and Family Referral Services.

Is this the answer of this question? Please help me...

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Lucy - Completing A Mandatory Reporting Guide

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:48 pm

Yes... You will need to actually fill in the mandatory reporting guide as if you were to make a report based on Lucy's scenario...

Mandatory Reporting Guide

:geek:,
Lorina

tara13

Post by tara13 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:58 pm

g) NSW students must also complete the Mandatory Reporter Guide using the information you have for the Lucy scenario..
Ans:
Mandatory Reporter Guide
From 24 January 2010, mandatory reporters are encouraged to use the Mandatory Reporter Guide, to guide their decision making and determine whether or not to report to the Child Protection Helpline under the new risk of significant harm reporting threshold.

The interactive online Mandatory Reporter Guide has been developed to assist front-line mandatory reporters such as police officers, teachers, nurses, social workers, and NGO staff to determine whether a case meets the new risk of significant harm threshold for reporting children and young people at risk in NSW. A PDF version of the Guide is also available for those without internet access. The Mandatory Reporter Guide is updated in response to user feedback. A listing of the differences between the current third edition and the previous edition is available.

The Mandatory Reporter Guide is based on research findings (customised for use in NSW) from the Structured Decision Making model developed by the Childrens Research Center, a US-based non-profit social research organisation. While Structured Decision Making tools have been implemented across the US, Canada, and Australia (South Australia and Queensland), the Mandatory Reporter Guide is the first Structured Decision Making tool to be developed for use across a wide range of non-statutory agencies who deliver services to children, young people, and families.

The Mandatory Reporter Guide was developed after extensive consultation, as well as detailed user acceptance testing.

In November 2009, Dr Raelene Freitag of the Childrens Research Center gave a Mandatory Reporter Guide presentation as part of a workshop for mandatory reporters involved in its development.

I just need to use this guide with the information I received in the scenario. Within the guide it will detail what i need to do next.

Mandatory Reporting guide for Lucy:
I have concerns that Lucy has been, abused and neglected due to Physical Abuse and Neglect.
Physical Abuse:
I suspect a non-accidental injury to Lucy that may have been caused by a parent. I know of treatment of Lucy by a parent that may have caused an injury. Lucy was injured.
NOTE: If the above cause is true, but the person causing harm is a child living in the home, the decision to report should be guided by whether the incident was due to neglect: supervision. Please refer to that decision tree. If a child was injured by a non-household member, the issue may be a police matter. Female genital mutilation is an injury likely to be caused by a non-household member and should be reported to both the Child Protection Helpline and NSW Police.

Neglect:
I suspect that a parent is not adequately meeting Lucy needs. She appears neglected. She is a danger to self and parents are not providing care. For example; not adequately meeting child needs,
Such as: supervision, shelter, medical care, hygiene/clothing, mental health care, schooling/education or other basic needs.
NOTE: For concerns related to shelter, use this tree for Lucy who is able to make an informed decision around placement. Use ‘Relinquishing Care’ if young person is unable to make an informed decision and for children whose parent is refusing to provide shelter.
please Lorina check my ans...i am confused about this ans..help me..

shelle82

Post by shelle82 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:00 pm

This part is confusing me a little. So do I download this whole file, fill in certain parts and send the whole file with the rest of my assessment?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:09 pm

shelle82 wrote:This part is confusing me a little. So do I download this whole file, fill in certain parts and send the whole file with the rest of my assessment?
Yes, you will need to fill in the report...

:geek:,
Lorina

shelle82

Post by shelle82 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:13 am

I'm currently in the process of filling out the mandatory reporters guide for Lucy....I'm on the abuse decision tree.
My question is: Is lucys sign of physical abuse (large hand print on leg) considered as a significant injury?
I would say yes but really want to double check.
TIA