Scenario: Child Looking For Food

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Ruvi
Participator
Participator

Scenario: Child Looking For Food

Post by Ruvi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi Lorina,
I have scenario that child (toddler) in the morning going through other children's bags looking for food. centre policy shown her parent all children have to come in the morning had breakfast. every time they are asked about her eating habits they say she doesn't like their food. she is often tired appears slightly underweight for her age.

My question is how would we respond this situation?
and
My answer is,

with child
1. In the morning if she hungry I can offer something to eat
2.let her know if she feel hungry letting me know
3. every mealtime I can encourage to eat and also help to eat (feed her)

with parents
1.I can provide details what she likes to eat at the centre
2.I can provide local community health centre's details to contact them get information and health checkup
3. If parent like I can give some food for take away to her.
4.I can explain what centre policy about breakfast and ask them to had breakfast at home before come to the centre
5. talk about that child often tired and underweight being appropriately

can you help me, am I on right track and give some ideas to respond to this situation ??...

Thank you

Ruvi...

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Child Looking For Food

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Yes, you're on the right track with your responses!

Just in regards to giving parents food for their child, I don't recommend you do that and I don't' think it will be allowed as part of the policy.

Like you suggested, you can give the parents a list of the foods the child eats at the centre and strategies to try to encourage the child to eat.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Ruvi
Participator
Participator

Re: Scenario: Child Looking For Food

Post by Ruvi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi Lorina,
Thank you for your help.
I got another idea, in the morning she is going through other children bags looking for food, I think because she feel hungry. keep this thing on my mind and talk with room leader and centre manager, ask offer her breakfast that is my duty of care with children. our responsible for provide best care practice for children (be aware code of ethics in relation to children)

Is that good idea for add my answer?

That is an ethical dilemma and in this I need explain why that is an ethical dilemma . I do not know how to answer this. can you help me ?

Thank you,

Ruvi