Scenario: Ameen

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
nefrida89

Post by nefrida89 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:48 am

Hi Lorina,

I just confused with this case as I haven't achieved satisfactory yet for about twice attempts.
I hope you can help me.

Scenario

Ameen
Ameen has been at your service for 3 months. His family has recently migrated from the Middle East and both he and his mother, Nadja speak very little English. One day Nadja arrives with Ameen at the service and is visibly distressed. Ameen’s teacher Katia is able to ascertain that Ameen’s father has beaten both him and his mother. They are both frightened and distressed. Being new to Australia they have no family or friends they can ask for help.

a) What is your duty of care to Ameen and his mother?

i answered,
I should do an observation first to collect evidence and document. Concern on what they said about their condition (while keeping the confidentiality) and also capture and document some evidence, for example in this case, if both were beaten by the Father, I have to document evidence from Ameen (his body) of any bruises (if there’s any), size of bruises, colour, new bruise or old one, Ameen’s condition in the class, his social behaviour, and complete the observation by collecting some statements spoken from Ameen or his mother. Then if it is really suspecting, I must report the information and observations to my supervisor and offer support by referring them to an advocacy or support service.

what's wrong with my answer? because the assessor didn't explain why my answer is wrong.
I hope you can lightened me by giving some explanation and suggestion
Thank you.

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Ameen

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:05 pm

You don't need to write up a report in this case since the child's mother can verify that herself and her child has been beaten by the father. Usually only when an investigation is needed to be done that you will need to make a report and record details of the physical abuse on the child's body. However, in this scenario, the mother can acknowledge that she and her child has been beaten. You may need to do the following:

- ring the police
- contact support services for domestic violence such as Salvation Army who will help provide accommodation and offer any assitance
- let Ameen and his mother stay at the service until she is comfortable to seek help
- ask Katia to write down a statement of what happened from what she understood when talking to Ameen's mother.

Your main duty of care is to keep them safe from harm and to provide support to them.

Here are some links to support services which can be contacted:

Salvation Army - Domestic Violence
Patricia Giles Centre Support For Domestiv Violence

Hope this gives you an idea,

:geek:,
Lorina

tehmina50

Post by tehmina50 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Ameen has been at your service for 3 months. His family has recently migrated from the Middle East and both he and his mother, Nadja speak very little English. One day Nadja arrives with Ameen at the service and is visibly distressed. Ameen’s teacher Katia is able to ascertain that Ameen’s father has beaten both him and his mother. They are both frightened and distressed. Being new to Australia they have no family or friends they can ask for help.
a) What is your role as a mandatory reporter in protecting Ameen and his mother?
i answered- It is important for educators to be alert to  suspicious behaviour or unexplained physical injuries.Documenting signs of possible risk of harm is an extremely important role for educators. Such documentation can assist in identifying a pattern of unexplained changes in the child’s behaviour. Early childhood educators must act as advocates for children and take action to alert child protection authorities.To be an effective advocate, educators must  be aware and alert to indicators of risk of harm (or risk of significant harm), be familiar with the child protection policy of the service and the protocols for notification, accurately and objectively record any concerns of risk of harm, immediately report concerns to the service’s supervisor and establish a caring, trusting relationship with child and his mother.

b) Name the relevant legislation that you would need to follow in your State.
i need help for this

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:50 am

Yes, you're on the right track...

You will need to find the child protection act for your state... what is your state?

Lorina

ksengar
Participator
Participator

Post by ksengar » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:11 pm

Relevant legislation that you would need to follow in Victoria?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 pm

ksengar wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:11 pm
Relevant legislation that you would need to follow in Victoria?

Australian Child Protection Legislation

Lorina

ksengar
Participator
Participator

Post by ksengar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:49 pm

here the legislation need will be as per an Australian Child Protection or Domestic Violence.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Child Protection...

Lorina