Family Composition In Indigenous Households

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
KatieD

Family Composition In Indigenous Households

Post by KatieD » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me please.
I have come across a question that has me quite stuck, Its in regards to Indigenous culture. I am from the UK and know little about this subject and when I google it i'm not finding the right information. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Here it is,

"Describe the family composition that is generally experienced within Indigenous households. Explain how this might compere to your own."

Thanks

Katie

Lorina

Re: Family Composition In Indigenous Households

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Aborigines have complex social and marriage laws, based on the grouping of people within their society. They also have a complex kinship system where everyone is related to everyone else. In order to understand the complexities of their social organisation, it is best to consider it in the following way, dividing it first into three main aspects. First, the physical structuring of society in terms of numbers – family, horde, tribe, second, the religious structuring based on beliefs and customs, totems, and marriage laws, and these beliefs divide people into moieties, sections and subsections, totemic groups, and clans. Third, there is also a kinship system that gives a social structuring. The social structuring and kinship system can become very complex and difficult to understand for non-Aboriginal people, but is a natural part of life for Aborigines, and its details vary from tribe to tribe.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:27 pm

This will give you more information:

Social Organisation

Lorina

KatieD

Post by KatieD » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks so much!
really helpful information.
x

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:45 pm

No problem! :thumbup:

Lorina

AngelEden

Post by AngelEden » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:06 pm

Lorina your link does not work but the other info you have given is great,thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Glad to help! :thumbup:

I am posting a new link to the same info as above:

Social Orgnaisations

Lorina