HLTHIR404D - Developing Relationships With ATSi Communities

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Bree_lee

HLTHIR404D - Developing Relationships With ATSi Communities

Post by Bree_lee » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi everyone, was wondering if i could get some help with this question i'm having trouble with.
How can you develop effective relationships with Indigenous communities and the individuals in them? List and discuss (in writing) at least eight strategies.
I said a community liaison officer but can't think of the other 7, could i please get some help? Thank you!

ECOMP971

Re: HLTHIR404D - WORK EFFECTIVELY WITH ABORIGINAL AND/OR TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER PEOPLE

Post by ECOMP971 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:06 pm

maybe ...

approach the community in appropriate manner eg. find out who the elder is or the person that you need to discuss the issue with / follow the heirarchy system if there is one

offer or have mandatory training for all staff in regaurds to "cultural awareness" / "cultural competence"

staff to be aware of all "observances" that the community may celebrate. staff to make a conscious effort to acknowledge these in the appropriate manner if they have permission

learn the community language or simple phrases such as hello / bye / yes / no

good luck :)

Bree_lee

Re: HLTHIR404D - WORK EFFECTIVELY WITH ABORIGINAL AND/OR TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER PEOPLE

Post by Bree_lee » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Thank you very much!