Experiences That Promote Postive Attitudes Towards inclusion

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Cassandra23

Experiences That Promote Postive Attitudes Towards inclusion

Post by Cassandra23 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Good Evening.

I am after some help pretty please. I am completing my work placement and currently studying online so don't have any help. For this assignment I am required to complete the following:

For this workplace record, you are required to plan and implement a group experience that fosters positive attitudes to inclusion. You are required to record your plan in the space provided below.
You are then to observe the children’s interaction and participation, and identify where you see there is a need for additional cultural support and cross-cultural understanding.

I am a very stuck on any ideas for this and would appreciate any support or direction...
Thanks so much in advance!!! :-)

Cassandra23

Re: Culture

Post by Cassandra23 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi guys.
I'm just wondering if anybody has had a chance to look at this question at all? I'm pretty stuck for ideas so any help would be appreciated.
If anybody could please point me in the direction that would be brilliant.

Thanks so much!!!

Lorina

Re: Experiences That Promote Postive Attitudes Towards inclusion

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:20 am

Activities that can help children learn about and appreciate differences:

Skin color match-ups helps children learn about different skin tones and ethnic backgrounds.
What you need:
nylon knee high stockings in various shades such as tan, black, white, pink, yellow, and red
What you do:
Encourage children to try the nylons on their hands, arms, or feet. Ask questions to help children increase their awareness of skin color: “Can you find a stocking that is the same color as your skin?” Have children try another color and ask them, “Is this lighter or darker than your own skin color?”

Hair, hair everywhere helps children learn about different hair types related to ethnic groups.
What you need:
photographs of different hairstyles, types, and hair care products
What you do:
Ask children to identify the different types of hair by talking about hair texture and curl. For example, some people have fine, thin hair while others have thick, coarse hair. Some people have straight hair and some people have curly hair. Talk about how people have different hair colors, lengths, and styles. Discuss how to care for different types of hair and which types of hair care products children use. Take photos of each child’s hair and make a collage of different hairstyles.

Diversity bingo helps children learn about other cultures from around the world.
What you need:
Bingo cards with images that relate to a specific culture and a large set of picture cards with the same images as those on the bingo cards; some ideas might be an Indian sari, chopsticks, or a sombrero.
What you do:
In each square of the bingo card, place an image of something from a specific culture. To play, hold up one of the large set of pictures; tell the children (or ask them) what the picture is and what culture it comes from. Students who get five across, down, or diagonally win.

Diversity dress up incorporates diversity into dramatic play to help children learn about different cultures.
What you need:
Clothing for various cultures (examples: yarmulke, a Jewish head cover; Burka, a garment worn by Muslim women); start with clothing that is reflective of the various cultures in your program, then expand to other cultures that the children may
What you do:
Have children try on the various items of clothing and discuss the culture that wears each one and why/how that style of clothing was created. Place the items in the dramatic play area so that children can wear the clothing as part of their play scenarios.

Music for everyone demonstrates the importance of music to many different cultures.
What you need:
audio recordings of music including those from a variety of cultures and featuring different types of instruments, and pictures of various musical instruments
What you do:
Ask each student to bring in a CD of music from their family of origin. Explain about each culture and how music plays a role in their cultures and celebrating traditions. Talk about what instruments are used. Add similar CDs to your music library and use them in daily music activities.

Ref: We Are Different

:geek:,
Lorina

Cassandra23

Post by Cassandra23 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:33 am

Thank you so much! you are amazing!
I wasn't entirely sure what direction I needed to go in but these ideas are great.
I really appreciate your help :thumbup:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am

No problem at all, happy to help!

:geek:,
Lorina