Community service worker question, cert III HELP!

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Community service worker question, cert III HELP!

Post by shmollie_hollie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:24 pm

I am feeling so overwhelmed and stressed and my brain feels completely dead so this probably sounds stupid that im not understanding this question and what it wants me to do. Can anyone help please?

Community service workers will interact with a wide variety of clients and co-workers from a range of cultural and experimental backgrounds.
They must, therefore, be aware of:
The role of diversity in the workplace
Methods of accommodating diversity
Access to equity issues that relate to their own area of work
Cultural, historical, access and equity issues that could be specific to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities
Other issues that might face Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities

They must demonstrate the ability to work, communicate and negotiate with a range of people from different cultural groups.

For the community service sector in which you work or are intending to work describe some of the cultural, historical, access and equity issues with which you might be confronted. Explain how you could deal with these issues and how you would ensure the rights of diverse people and their communities can be up-held.

Utilise workplace examples to support and explain your responses and provide, where possible, evidence that shows the steps you have taken (or will take), in a workplace, to address such issues.

Lorina

Re: Community service worker question, cert III HELP!

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi Shmollie,

I know you must be pulling your hair out trying to figure out how to answer this question.... it is a tough one... now I don't know if I'm heading in the right direction but I do have some ideas with this question....

describe some of the cultural, historical, access and equity issues with which you might be confronted

I had a look through the Policies and Procedures Manual and it does have a few issues being addressed. I think you might be able to use these as examples as issues that you may be confronted with.

- Anti-Bias/Honoring Diversity
- Inclusion
- Relationships
- Child Protection
- Early Child Intervention

Utilise workplace examples to support and explain your responses and provide, where possible, evidence that shows the steps you have taken (or will take), in a workplace, to address such issues.

For this question I think you can use the information available in a Policy & Procedure Manual... Note down, from the policy, how the centre manages to deal with the above issues and see if you can use this info to explain your response. Do you work in a childcare centre where you can access a Policy and Procedures Manual?

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure if this is right but have a read through it and hopefully it will give you a better idea,

:geek:,
L.A

shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Post by shmollie_hollie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:47 pm

thanks for your help i really appreciate it, i am pulling my hair out haha! :p
thanks again

debby

Post by debby » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:55 pm

I'm struggling with question aswell. I was wondering how you went. And could you offer me any advice. I have been struggling for days..
thankyou

shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Post by shmollie_hollie » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi! sorry for the late reply I havent logged on in a while. Well basically I wrote about the cultural, historical, access and equity issues I may be exposed to in the childcare industry such as differences in beliefs, communication with the parents and the children, barriers such as language barriers and disabilities, differences in religion, culture and beliefs e.g. differences in diet, religious beliefs such as prayer and different ideas about education and how they can be dealt with in a childcare setting or how the centre can adapt for them such as vegetarian options on the menu, allowances for religion, talking about cultural differences with the children so they can gain an understanding and the child isnt secluded etc.

for the utilise workplace examples part i wrote about a child in my care that spoke mandarin and not english and how we accomdaterd that or could accomdate it such as cards with pictures on them, learning basic mandarin words such as food, toilet etc, and using non verbal communication methods to communicate effectively with the child.
Hope that helps! Its a tough question!

debby

Post by debby » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Thankyou so much for your reply. That is very helpful!!!.. Yes, a very tough question... As I am not in the workforce as yet and my course is done by distance learning, I have really been struggling with this question..
Thankyou again for all your help!
All the Best

supriya

Post by supriya » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Hello everyone,I have the same problem don't know how to start with.Pls give give me some tips.