Child Placed In A Room VS Co Sleeping With Parents

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Jasmine Nawar

Child Placed In A Room VS Co Sleeping With Parents

Post by Jasmine Nawar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi, I need help with this one:
In western cultures infants are usually placed in a room on their own soon after birth.
" other cultures " children sleep in the same bed with their parents for several years .
What's the possible tensions between these two cultures ?

Lorina

Re: Child Placed In A Room VS Co Sleeping With Parents

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Before I had a baby I had always believed that my baby should sleep in their own room as per I learnt from my culture. However after my baby was born she co-slept with my husband and I. It was very easy to respond to her needs such as nappy changing, on demand feeding (I breastfed only, no bottle) and to be right there if she needed me. Now my daughter is 4 years old and she still co- sleeps with us. I have seen so many benefits, having slept with us, we are like her security blanket. She doesn't have a dummy, she doesn't thumb suck, she doesn't have a special toy to sleep with etc. I have read that a child that co-sleeps with parents are more dependent. However, I am strongly disagreeing with this! My 4-year-old is extremely independent for her age! Of course, I may be biased because this has worked for my family but I wouldn't want it any other way! It's so nice to be able to snuggle with your little one throughout the night and she has such a peaceful and long sleep knowing we are right there with her! I do have a cot, next to our bed which is opened and pushed up against our bed, which she crawls in and out as she pleases! I'm so glad that I have decided to let my little one co-sleep with us and my only concern is that if I have another baby in the future I'll need a bigger bed!!! LOL! :giggle:

Just wanted to share my experience with you!

:geek:,
Lorina

Jasmine Nawar

Post by Jasmine Nawar » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:11 pm

Thank you, that was really helpful :clap:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:05 pm

More and more people are leaning towards cosleeping as their is a lot to support the fact that cosleeping is beneficial for children. I myself cosleep with my daughter (now 20 months) and like Lorina's daughter she doesn't suck her thumb or need any kind of "comfort" elements around her when she sleeps (teddy, toy, blanket)
I feel and sleep more comfortably knowing she is right there and so does she, not to mention its easier tending to her needs when she is in the same bed and room rather than another room.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Just wanted to add... another benefit is that my daughter was night time toilet trained at 3 years old. It was easy for us to take her to the toilet during the nighttime when needed since she is co-sleeping with us...

Yes, and I agree with what Fefe said, it's a huge comfort knowing that your child is right there next to you...it's safer...

:geek:,
Lorina