CHCPRT001 - How can a child care worker become a risk in a child care situation? What limitations cause this?

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
mollyfoubister

CHCPRT001 - How can a child care worker become a risk in a child care situation? What limitations cause this?

Post by mollyfoubister » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:25 am

A am required to write a report which covers the following questions:
1. What was the ethos of Erick Erickson? How might his theories be used in a child care situation?

2. How can a child care worker become a risk in a child care situation? What limitations cause this?

3. What communication and information gathering techniques exist to elicit information from children?
Model of conversation

4. Why is maintaining confidentiality important with clients? What challenges might this present in communicating information with other people?

5. What ethical situations may arise in the workplace and how should you respond to unethical behaviour of others?

6. What are your organisation's procedures for reporting risk of harm?

7. Give an example of the methods you use to develop ethical and nurturing practices when working with children and young people.

Outline the various types of abuse and the common legal issues associated with them

Question 2 has me confused as I am not sure what type of risk this is asking me to identify, any ideas?

Thanks!

stelala

Re: CHCPRT001 - How can a child care worker become a risk in a child care situation? What limitations cause this?

Post by stelala » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:27 pm

HI MOlly , ive stumbled across your question and funnily enough this one has got me too. i was thinking that it may be various interviewing techniques, open ended questions and nichd techniques.

any help will be great!!

Lorina

Re: CHCPRT001 - How can a child care worker become a risk in a child care situation? What limitations cause this?

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Erik Erickson:

Trust versus mistrust

Infancy correlates with Erikson’s first stage: trust versus mistrust. In this stage the infant is beginning to interact and engage with the people they come into contact with to deal with the first crisis identified by Erikson. This crisis is to determine whether the infant should trust the world and the people in it or mistrust the world and its people.

Trust or mistrust in the world will be determined by the type of care the infant is receiving from the adults. Trust, like attachment, is built through our basic caregiving strategies. Feeding a hungry baby, cuddling and soothing a fearful baby and allowing the tired child to sleep, helps build trust.

Autonomy versus shame and doubt

In toddlerhood, the child is now moving to a new stage in their development. Erikson describes a new crisis that must be dealt with. Again, the real usefulness of this theory is in the information it gives us about the appropriate caregiving strategies that we need to employ to help each child reach their full potential.
In this toddler stage, Erikson describes the crisis as being one of autonomy versus shame and doubt. During this stage the toddler will learn that they are an autonomous, independent person who has control in their world or they will learn that making independent decisions is something to be ashamed of. This is often a challenging stage for many adults. Our first word is often ‘NO’. Being told ‘no’ all the time leads to feelings of shame and doubt. We need to ensure that we give toddlers the opportunity to make limited decisions. We will discuss decision making in more detail later.

Outcomes of autonomy

Toddlers who are encouraged to be autonomous and who receive appropriate caregiving strategies in this stage will:

• have a positive self-concept
• be eager to try new skills
• be independent
• be motivated to do things for self
• have a good relationship with the primary caregiver
• demonstrate self-help and self-care skills
• be confident
• trust in others
• want to explore their environment and new environments
• gain a sense of belonging
• be able to express feelings appropriately
• be curious
• come to the caregiver for support and reassurance
• show emotions in actions
• make simple demands
• gain mastery over their bodily functions
• want to do things alone
• be able to accept help and guidance
• take pride in their new skills
• learn that failure is a learning process
• be more self-sufficient
• be more sociable
• need confirmation and recognition of efforts.

Outcomes of shame or doubt

Alternatively the child who is not allowed to explore their environment and who does not receive appropriate caregiving strategies for this stage of development will:

• doubt themselves and their capabilities
• often be withdrawn
• feel shame in the eyes of themselves and others
• or may be disruptive
• demonstrate unrealistic fears
• be dependant on others
• feel worthless and have a low self-esteem
• demonstrate poor social skills
• have negative self-concepts
• lack motivation or have poor motivation to complete tasks
• often require lots of adult assistance
• demonstrate a lack of willingness to explore the environment
• often be unsociable
• demonstrate lots of frustration
• be lacking skills in all areas
• be unsure and lacking confidence
• often lack mastery over bodily functions.

Initiative versus guilt

Erikson and the preschooler

Now that the child is a preschooler, a new crisis is emerging. Erikson now tells us that the child is moving into the initiative-versus-guilt stage. In this stage the child will either gain a sense of initiative by being able to make decisions, plan activities and events and see them carried through, or a feeling of guilt as they are continually told ‘no’ or have their ideas squashed. Caregivers need to ensure they are allowing the children in their care the opportunities to make plans and see them carried through to fruition.

Erikson stresses that a person’s personality emerges from the child’s interactions and experiences with significant people. Much of this interaction occurs around all the different skills that are developing during the preschool years.

During the preschool stage we find that children are ready and eager to learn and achieve goals. They learn to plan and to carry out these plans. They are also developing a sense of right and wrong. They see themselves as being able to do more things but realise there are limits – if they go beyond these limits, they will feel guilty. By four years the preschooler should be able to formulate a plan of action and carry it out. The positive outcome is a sense of initiative – the sense that one’s desires and actions are good and OK.

As caregivers we need to ensure that we are helping preschoolers to focus their energies on what is allowed and directing them towards acceptable activities so that guilt is kept to a minimum. We can ensure that we are encouraging initiative by asking the children to suggest activities which could be included within the program. When they make suggestions we then need to ensure that we treat children’s ideas and suggestions seriously. It is important that we do not dismiss them with ridicule or laugh at them. If children’s ideas are unacceptable then discuss with the children alternatives which are socially acceptable. Following these simple strategies will ensure that children navigate through this stage leading to a positive outcome.

The outcomes of children gaining a good sense of initiative are to:

• use their initiative constructively
• enjoy their increasing power
• become better able to cooperate
• be better able to accept guidance
• use their initiative within the limits of acceptable behaviour
• experience a minimum of guilt.

The negative outcome of this stage is ‘guilt and shame’. Guilt and shame will occur if children are continually punished for initiating and carrying out plans. They will also experience this if their ideas are rejected out of hand or laughed at, ridiculed or ignored. These feelings of guilt lead to feelings of shame and fear and a lack of assertiveness in their behaviour. One of the dangers of this stage is that, if children are punished for initiative, they will turn their energies into being obedient and conforming in order to avoid feeling guilty.

:geek:,
Lorina

stelala

Post by stelala » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Dear Lorina,
you are great at wht you do and offer more support than our mentors online! thank you for being you and supporting our liitle childcaretribe

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:30 pm

stelala wrote:Dear Lorina,
you are great at wht you do and offer more support than our mentors online! thank you for being you and supporting our liitle childcaretribe
Wow! Thanks so much for your kind words! I really do appreciate it! That's very sweet of you! I just try and help and support where I can. I know and understand how hard it is to study and learn all the necessary requirements for this industry so providing information for you to understand questions better or to gain understanding through the information I provide is how I can play my part in supporting you all in our childcare community.

Thanks so much for again!!

Much obliged!

Lorina

stelala

Post by stelala » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:46 pm

It's not me being kind it's simply what you are putting out there and may not receive any feedback back. You're probably used to the same mundane questions so i'll do my best in reading the forums and comments to reduce you tripling the answers.

Thanks again for being so quick, understanding and the support you continue to give us. I'm sure you may get sick of my name popping up so i wanted to let you know respect the work that you do.

Happy Satday

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks Again!

I'm very familiar with most questions asked as they are all similar... It's interesting to see how different course providers frame their assignments based on the same units... Some are quite simple however others are very difficult... Even I have trouble understanding a question or 2 every now and then. I also understand that some trainers don't provide enough feedback to a student to assist them in understanding where they went wrong in order to complete the assignment. Saying "wrong, try again" doesn't help and students need more support. Not everyone understands the theory side of it and yes it's important but practical experience is where the real understanding occurs! That's why I'm here I guess... to help get through the theory....

No worries! In asking questions I know which questions are repeated so I often just find that forum and link it back which saves me time...

All good!

Lorina