CHCPRT001 - Handling Disclosures

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
MJ1991
Participator
Participator

CHCPRT001 - Handling Disclosures

Post by MJ1991 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi all,

I am currently working on the "Identify and Respond to Children and Young People at Risk" unit for my Cert III and am having some trouble with a few questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Question 1. When a child discloses abuse, what behaviors and reactions should you be aware of when responding to the child?
Answer: (I think :think: )
However the educator may feel during a child’s disclosure, it is important for the educator, to remain calm and in control of their feelings, in order to reassure the child or young person that their safety is of the upmost importance and action will be taken to ensure they are protected.

Question 2. How can you ensure your knowledge of child protection issues and legislation is kept relevant and up to date?
By reading new amendments to relevant legislation.

Question 3. How can you ensure you protect a person’s privacy when discussing delicate issues?
(I assume that "delicate issues" is referring to a child that is being abused or neglected)
By not discuss the situation with others not directly involved in helping the child.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and for any help given.

Kind regards,
Melanie.
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCPRT001 - Handling Disclosures

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:07 am

Hi Melanie,

You're definitely on the right track with your response! :thumbup:

I'm just going to add some more information that will help extend you to extend on your responses:

[attachment=0]child abuse handbook.pdf[/attachment]
Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MJ1991
Participator
Participator

Post by MJ1991 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:41 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you for that handbook it definitely helped a lot, i used the handbook and my student work book to come up with the following answers:

Question 1. When a child discloses abuse, what behaviors and reactions should you be aware of when responding to the child?
However you may feel during a child’s disclosure, it is important for you, as an educator, to remain calm and in control of your feelings, in order to reassure the child or young person that their safety is of the upmost importance and action will be taken to ensure they are protected.
Your response to an abused child can often prove critical to how that child feels once the disclosure has been made.

Question 2. How can you ensure your knowledge of child protection issues and legislation is kept relevant and up to date?
Child care educators should be conscious of the possible signs of child abuse/neglect and have a clear understanding of their responsibilities and the procedures of reporting child protection issues. Children may be placed further at risk when the adults who care for them are aware of abuse and either handle the information incorrectly or do nothing about it.
Continued professional development and training ensures relevant skills and knowledge are maintained and kept up to date. By encouraging discussions about child protection at staff meetings, regularly checking relevant websites and reading any new amendments to relevant legislation the service can help educators understand and adhere to their legal responsibilities and competently handle child protection issues when they arise.

Question 3. How can you ensure you protect a person’s privacy when discussing delicate issues?
(I assume that "delicate issues" is referring to a child that is being abused or neglected)
Confidentiality and privacy are important but should not override the safety of children or young people. Sharing information between Care and Protection Services and other agencies is essential to protect children and young people from experiencing abuse or neglect. If a child has disclosed abuse or neglect to you, you should not discuss the situation with others not directly involved with helping the child.

Thank you again for all your help.

Kind regards,
Melanie

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:23 am

Hi Again Melanie,

That extra bit of information you've added to each of your questions helps show your understanding of the questions in more detail! :thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina