CHCIC302A - Research on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Lulu2811

CHCIC302A - Research on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

Post by Lulu2811 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Assignment 2
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Hi, I need to research the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in my local area and I was hoping to find out if anyone could help point me in the right direction. I need to find the local custodians of the land and conduct further research about ways to contact them, languages they speak, etc. I'm not sure if I should be visiting the local council, the library or try to locate a Cultural Centre which i'm finding difficult...
Thank you!!

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Local Library? Council? Cultural Centre?

Description and Message:
Hi, I need to research the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in my local area and I was hoping to find out if anyone could help point me in the right direction. I need to find the local custodians of the land at present and conduct further research about ways to contact them, languages they speak, etc. I'm not sure if I should be visiting the local council, the library or try to locate a Cultural Centre which I'm finding difficult...
Also, I'm not sure if I should just be turning up or if it is best to call and make an appointment?

thank you!!
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCIC302A

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:07 pm

I've added some links and attachments on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in the following topic...

See if it helps,

HLTHIR404B-Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders In Brisbane, QLD

:geek:,
L.A

Lulu2811

Re: CHCIC302A - Research on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

Post by Lulu2811 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:40 pm

Thanks L.A for the link.

I called Tafe and they informed me that I need to call the Aboriginal Liaison Officer at my local council but I've contacted the Local Metro Land Council as well as a local community support group but all want me to email so am just waiting to see where I can get info.

Does anyone have any suggestions on resources within a service or resources that could be available to them that would reflect diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders communities? I've got some like Dream Time Stories, Music / Musical Instruments, Posters and photos of images and artwork... I don't actually work in a centre and never have before so any suggestions on experiences you've implemented in your centre would be much appreciated.

thank you!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Some other resources that can reflect diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders can include:

- cushion covers (can be added to book corner)
- puzzles
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander dolls (for dramatic play/home corner)
- wall hangings
- floor mats
- boomerangs

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Lulu2811

Post by Lulu2811 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks L.A for your suggestions!

I have been able to obtain information from a local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Support Centre. They were great and had so much information to offer. :) The Community Centre as well as my local council which is Sydney City told me to contact the Metro Land Council for more information however I am still yet to hear back from them... Am assuming it's because the person on reception was new and maybe my message got lost...