CHCFC301A-Support the development of children

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCFC301A-Support the development of children

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:38 pm

It means that you will have to write down the step by step processes involved if you are ever worried about a Child's social, emotional and/or psychological development.
Your workplace may have a different protocol for observing such children and recording their progress... so if you have forms etc that you use for this purpose you include them with this answer.
Eg (pretend this was the protocol of my workplace ) If I had concerns about a Child 1st step was to get a set of observations which clearly showed the area of concern and then go to the director. Next step was the Director would herself ... next step she would assess the child or take her own observations....next step speak to parents to see if child was showing these problems at home....and so forth
so basically just list the steps 1. 2. 3...
You can take this question to your workplace and ask them what their process is

Educater
Participator
Participator

Post by Educater » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:48 am

hi charline,
iam so really sorry for such a delay reply but here i have got what i have done for activities for children for the age of 0 -12 aand within each developmental areas....i hope this is what u needed
and with the next question you have posted well...its really easy ...there is a developmental checkist form which you have to do to see how the childs developmental areas are going and i have got that form..but i need to scan it and then i will be able to post it or i'll check on the web if i can find one and then i'lll post it..okiez...this is what they use in FDC family day care to see childrens developmental
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Educater
Participator
Participator

Post by Educater » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:54 am

hi charline,
this is a great website...its got how u can make sure if the childs development is appropriate for their age and it covers all of the areas...pphysical,social,emotional
have a look maybe this will help u out
but u have to put it into a checklist form your self

so make three columns and put in headings developmental area such as social..yes and no and comments column
and write down into it ..
http://www.child-development-guide.com/ ... stone.html

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi Charline,

You can find a lot of info on Child development in this website itself. Just go to "Resources" and click on "Child Stages of Development". Here you can find the various development that a child go through in each stages - from infants to school-age. There are info on Physical Development, language development, social & emotional development, Cognitive development, developmental milestones achieved, etc..etc..

Here is the link: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/c ... opment.php

Just thought i will give you this link if you need some pointers or info on various child milestones achieved in order to complete this assignment...

fefe76 and Educater have given a few good points..

:geek:,
L.A

charline
Participator
Participator

Post by charline » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi all,

Wanted to say thank you for all your help and suggestions on this assignment.

Kind regards,
Charline

karen

Post by karen » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:17 pm

I am looking for ideas for a play kit that I need to make as part of this module, any ideas??

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi Karen,

Not too sure if this is correct but if I was making a "Play Kit" I would add items like:

- colouring books & pencils

- puzzles (laminate magazine pictures and cut them into puzzle pieces)

-small blocks

-magazines and scissors (for cutting)

- blank paper and writing materials (for drawing)

-balls (for games)

-story books

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

karen

Post by karen » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Thankyou so much for your reply, will do

sheetu1983

Post by sheetu1983 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:35 am

Hi Nida,

Thanks for your help. Wanted your help for the same Question . Can you please send me the answer too if possible. I am stuck and dont know how to get start with it .Please help.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Sheetu

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi Sheetu,

I have deleted your other duplicate topic since you have asked the same question here. Also did you check out the link to the Children's Games and Activities on this site that was suggested before?

L.A

sheetu1983

Post by sheetu1983 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi L.A,
Thanks for the reply. Yes i have checked Children's Games and Activities on the site . Its quite helpful but still not able to understand how to answer my assignment in specific format . I have to mention :
Name of experience, Description of Experience,How Exp. supports child's Development, Environment,resources,Special consideration,Reference .Please help.

Thanks.
Kind Regards,
Sheetu

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi Sheetu,

Its really simple...The way the Children Activities & Games are listed in this website is really easy that it should be perfect for you to use these materials for your assignment...I will give you an example so you get the idea.

When you have a look at any game or activity in our Kids Games page, you will see each activity with the following headings:

1) Name of Game
2) Appropriate Age
3) Categories
4) Development Milestones That Can Be Achieved
5) Children Requirements
6) Materials
7) What to do
8) Hints & Tips

So, for you assignment you needed to give these info: Name of experience, Description of Experience,How Exp. supports child's Development, Environment,resources,Special consideration,Reference.

So, you can use our games in our site like this:

Name of experience: Name of Game

Description of Experience: Have a read through the game and write a description of that experience.

How Exp. supports child's Development: Use the details you can find in the "Categories"
and "Development Milestones That Can Be Achieved" and answer this section.

Environment: You can figure it out with the details in the game

Resources: Materials

Special consideration: Maybe use some from the "Hints & Tips"

Reference: Where you got these ideas and info from..In this case its AussieChildcareNetwork.com/

I think its thats it...Dont copy it exactly the way it is...Just read the games and activities, understand it and write it in your own words..

If you still have a doubt, just write one as a sample and post it up..We will have a look and let you know if its alright..

L.A

sheetu1983

Post by sheetu1983 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks for explaining me through example. I just want to know to explain Physical development, I have to take two experiences: one for Gross motor skills and another for Fine motor skills . Or single experience is sufficient?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Sheetu

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Sheetu,

With physical development if you can come up with an experience that incorporates both fine motor skills and gross motor skills then 1 should be efficient. However I think it's best to come up with two different experiences, one for each.. Fine motor basically means movement of small muscles in your hands so something like play dough, threading, opening and closing lids on bottles, playing with locks and keys etc... Gross Motor development is the movement of larger muscles something like kicking balls into a goal, throwing balls to a target, playing duck duck goose...

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

sheetu1983

Post by sheetu1983 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks L.A. I am done with Physical development.Thanks everyone for your help. Now i am doing Creative development.But wont able to understand, how come (6 weeks-12 months ) child can be creative. Can anyone help with this as well as a child in the age range(6-12yrs).

thanks.

Regards,
Sheetu

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:46 am

Sheetu
I just typed in Creative Development in children and Google gave me 22,800,000 results.
There are heaps of pages on the web that tell you activities etc for creative development in children/babies of all ages.
Its not about a 6 week old baby being creative it about how you can develop that within the child by doing activities and other things.
Giving a baby toys of different textures, sounds etc all develops creativity.
Giving a toddler paint & glue & feathers all develops creativity.
http://www.creativityinstitute.com/crea ... pment.aspx
http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/ ... ontext/937
http://www.thebabycorner.com/page/2400/

That took about 2 mins of searching, so please try and find resources yourself first before posting + this site has a resource area which has a whole section on Child Devlopment, I am sure there is info in there to help you.

sheetu1983

Post by sheetu1983 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi there,
I was just wondering if somebody could help out. I need the emotional development of a primary school aged child(6-12 year) and suggestions for play environment/experiences. Any example of different activities for this age group and how that activity helps in their development.

Help pleaseeeeee..

Thanks in advance

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Primary Schoolers Emotional Development

Children are now learning to be independent. When they feel worried or scared they may behave in ways which seem annoying such as boasting, disobedience, laziness or telling 'lies'. With understanding, attention and time children learn to overcome these things.
If there is a noticeable change in the child's behaviour it is advisable to look deeper and find out why.
School children can enjoy talking about emotions, feelings and relationships.
They begin to identify less with parents and more with peers as they continue through primary school..
Children this age may need their own personal space. This can be a bedroom, a bed, a special place (a tree, cubbyhouse) or a place for their own things. They still like hugs, kisses and cuddles, especially when doing things with you like watching TV or reading.
You can help your child's emotional development by:
setting a good example
talking about how you feel
giving the child examples of how to express their feelings
talking to them about their feelings
talking to your child's teacher as often as you can..
talking and listening.

How else can educators enhance children's emotional development?

Help the children gain an understanding of their feelings through the use of books, board games, puppets, interactive storytelling or role-plays.

Teach children to identify and verbalize their feelings, as well as to read the emotional signals from other children and adults. (For useful tools to promote emotional literacy, revisit www.kellybear.com.)

Watch a child's facial expressions, posture, play or art work for signs that a child is experiencing a strong negative emotion. Then offer constructive ways to defuse it, such as painting, dialogue or taking a "time out."

Accept emotional responses as legitimate, even if you don't like the behavior the feeling produces. For example, when a child hits, the feeling of anger is demonstrated. Stop the child and say, "It's okay to feel angry; it's not okay to hurt others. Talk to me about what your feeling."

Communicate understanding and empathy by reflecting the observed emotion. For example, say, "You seem sad" or "You seem upset." Then, if the child confirms your reflection and begins talking, be quiet and listen. (See "Helping Children Cope with Anger" in Teacher Ideas, www.kellybear.com .)

Observe the child's nonverbal behavior for clues as to how he or she is feeling. Listen for the content of what is being said, as well.

Avoid negative statements like, "Can't you do anything right?" or "What's your problem?" These comments discourage open communication and suggest that when a child does not behave perfectly, he or she is "bad."

Avoid moralizing ("That was wrong of you!"); humiliating ("I can't believe you did that."); lecturing ("You should have known better."); denying ("You'll be okay."); pitying, ("Poor you. It's all their fault."); and rescuing, ("I'll take care of it."). Instead, listen patiently and nod your head appropriately. Remember that questions can often lead the child away from the real problem or cause the child to stop talking.

Problem solve with the child by encouraging him or her to think of options and decide what constructive action to take. (See "Ten Ways to Foster Resiliency in Children" in Teacher Ideas, www.kellybear.com .)

Keep lines of communication open. You might say something like: "Emily, I am glad you told me about your mom's illness. It must be hard to have her in the hospital. Please know that I care about you and that I am here if you want to talk again."

Gonna say it again
search for the info... there is SO much useful info out there you just need to be able to take 5 mins and find it.

One of the big parts of studying is learning to research and find relevent information for yourself, it helps you learn to sift through useless information & learn in the process

Get the textbooks, they are recommended texts for a reason - they have all the info u require in them and if u do not have them well, google

sheetu1983

Post by sheetu1983 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Thanks for the reply fefe. I have textbooks for reference and i am goggling alot more info for my assignment, but i have just asked this particularly because i am not able to analyse good activity examples for this age group.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:19 pm

hopefully some of the info above can help.
board games, puppets, interactive storytelling or role-plays.... perhaps you can find some activities that involve these things

good luck