CHCECE001 - Interviewing A Person From Another Culture

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
catnap
Helper
Helper

CHCECE001 - Interviewing A Person From Another Culture

Post by catnap » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi again Lorina :wave:
I am just looking at a couple of questions regards 3rd party again. 1. Use appropriate communication skills to conduct an interview in a sensitive manner with a person from another culture. Not sure how I can go about this....however, we do have two staff members who are from another culture.....do you think it would be ok to interview one of them? It then goes on to write a report include: Culture id, languages spoken ect. So I am guessing this is to follow the interview?
Another question is to observe a group of diversse children and make notes about any additional cultural support or guidance? We don't have any children from another culture....any ideas here? Or could I make up something that I would do in if I had to observe a diverse group of children? If in doubt will ask supervisor.
Thanks again
Cheers :D

Lorina

Re: CHCECE001 - Interviewing A Person From Another Culture

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:04 am

Yes, so you're right you could choose one of the two staff members and interview them - it should be interesting to see their responses to the questions because you could learn something that you didn't know about them before.

So, you don't have any child in your centre from another culture? A child from China, Korea, India, Italy, France, America, Fiji etc. Are they all Australians? They don't necessarily have to be born in that country, however, the culture will be different, compared to typical Australian culture...

That's OK if you haven't got any children from a different culture, just make it up... For example - additional support or guidance may include photos around the room on what to do for visual representations, learning a few sentences to help the child, a translator, etc.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

catnap
Helper
Helper

Re: CHCECE001 - Interviewing A Person From Another Culture

Post by catnap » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:04 am

Thanks again Lorina....yes I will interview one of the staff soon....should be interesting and fun! We do have a new child in my room who has an Asian Mum and Australian dad, but the little girl has mostly the Asian appearance. She has been coming gradually as she is quite distressed. I could most likely make notes on her for my booklet. I will let you know if I need any more assistance, sometimes hard to ask staff as they are busy. One relief worker told me to make stuff up and maybe write down what I think I would do or to refer to my assignments too.
Cheers :D