Pay rate for relief assistant educator with ECT qualification

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
ToriTot

Pay rate for relief assistant educator with ECT qualification

Post by ToriTot » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:29 pm

Hi,
As a relief assistant educator, I don't want to 'rock the boat' with my employer regards this pay rate query hence here it is for you to ponder:):
I would like to know where you think I fit into the pay scale. I have a Diploma in Early Childhood, along with a 4 year Bachelors in Primary Education and Queensland Teacher registration (therefore I have ECT status). Since starting with my Centre at the beginning of the year - before I completed my Diploma - I have been on a relief assistant educator salary of $22.10 per hour. This pay rate did not change in July and has not changed since I presented my employers with my Diploma and Teacher Registration status. Is this correct? Does pay rate not automatically change once you acquire a relevant qualification? Are they allowed to carry on paying $22.10 (Qld) casual rate per hour as it appears to be below the rate that you have included in your wages table?
I look forward to hearing from you:o)

Lorina

Re: Pay rate for relief assistant educator with ECT qualification

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:45 am

You should be paid based on your position as well as your qualification... Even if you are working as an assistant educator with a Diploma qualification you should be on Level 3.4 of the wage table. Once you move into a room leader position you will should start from Level 4.1 and as an ECT you will be on a different award.

Even though you may be an ECT qualified as far as I understand you need to actually be the ECT of the service to actually be paid the ECT rate. If you're working as an assistant educator with an ECT qualification you will not be paid an ECT rate...

If you want to earn more I would suggest that you either work as an ECT in a centre or even as a director of a service... These positions would improve your pay rate.

Hope his helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:48 am

Just another quick one...just reading your question again, you mentioned you're a relief educator so to confirm that means your working as casual for the centre?

:geek:,
Lorina

ToriTot

Post by ToriTot » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Yes, I am casual relief. At the moment, assistant educator work suits me in regards to family/work/life balance but I am looking to join an agency for ECT relief work shortly. Thanks for your reply - I did think completing my diploma would increase my hourly rate to some extent, even if I am not in a lead position.

MelBur

Post by MelBur » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:41 pm

I have recently completed my diploma and my pay rate went up to $28.40 per hour as a casual employee in QLD. I would definitely look into it more.