Deciding which uni to go to - UNE or LA Trobe

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
tinybubu1981

Deciding which uni to go to - UNE or LA Trobe

Post by tinybubu1981 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi all, I'm diploma qualified and was doing the Bachelor of EDUCATION (Early Childhood) with USQ which is a 4 yr online degree that lets me teach up to 8 year olds. I've decided that I enjoy teaching 3 and 4 year old kinder and wanting to focus more on being an Early Childhood Educator. Therefore, I'm looking at changing my university as USQ only has a 3 YEAR DEGREE for early childhood which does not qualify me for registration at all! I'm in Melbourne and have found out that I need to complete a 4 year education degree to be registered as an ECT here in Victoria! This means that UNE is currently my first choice as i will only have 16 units to complete to get a degree which is equivalent to a 4 yr education degree. There's also an online degree with La Trobe which would be 2.5yrs long which would also be considered a 4 yr degree. The problem is - I've googled UNE online and everybody is complaining about the uni being horrid and how the uni is more concerned about getting paid than dishing out a proper education. i've also googled La Trobe online and their degree is called the Bachelor of Early Learning. I'm ranting here and sorry if i'm not making any sense. I just wanted to know if anybody else here is doing the above mentioned degrees and how their experience is like so far? Thanks!!

Lorina

Re: Deciding which uni to go to - UNE or LA Trobe

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:15 pm

Hi There!

Before you think about swapping degrees just make sure that being an ECT is exactly what you want to do! I know that right now that you would like to work in the preschool room but think about the future. Could you see yourself working as an ECT in 10 - 15 years time? It's just that doing the 4 year degree gives you an alternate option to be able to teach in schools if that's something you may see yourself doing in the future (even 20 years later). So, just make sure that you have a think about the future and see where you see yourself in the next 15 years for example!

Sorry, I just don't want you to miss out on maybe an extra year or 2 of uni study which may help you tremendously in the future if you decide to work as a primary teacher...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Deciding which uni to go to - UNE or LA Trobe

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:18 pm

I know online reviews can have an impact on your decision on which uni provider to go with... I think it depends on each persons individual preferences and needs for study. I suggest you contact both uni's with a series of questions and see which one offers you the best option and you can make an informed decision from there...

Good Luck!

:geek:,
Lorina