Ethical Dilemmas

Forum for students doing their Bachelor of Early Childhood Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Mel77g

Ethical Dilemmas

Post by Mel77g » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi,
I have an assessment due very soon and was wondering if I could please get some advice?
I need to work through an ethical response cycle representing the role of a staff member using the following scenario:

Michael, a new early childhood graduate ,works in the babies room. The director has been delighted to be able to employ a male teacher who wants to work with young children. In his first week of work, one of the parents complains about Michael and argues that all men should be banned from changing babies nappies.

Recognition of the dilemma

The dilemma is gender discrimination against Michael.

Legal Aspects

Explain explain to the parent and promote equality between men and women. We don't discriminate against gender.

Professional consideration

Give guidance on the code of ethics, articulate in an inclusive, respectful way as we are in partnerships with families.

Ethical Principles

Autonomy, Benefit and Justice, I believe these principles relate to this ethical dilemma but I'm unsure on how to put it into words.

Ethical Theories

Informed Inclination

I don't understand what is meant by this.

Negotiation

Ask the parent to come to the centre to observe how Michael interacts with the children, before they make any assumptions on Michael.

Judgement

I don't understand what is meant by this

Action/Possible Resolution

Have a meeting with both Michael and the parent discuss what outcome they both want.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.