Early Childhood Pedagogy

Forum for students doing their Bachelor of Early Childhood Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
MErdely

Early Childhood Pedagogy

Post by MErdely » Mon May 05, 2014 12:16 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Blog Post 2
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
How can we possibly allow kids their autonomy to claim their identity as they grow up in the face of the many theories that serve to bias Educators in their process of classroom practice?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
this is my first attempt to gain a wider community understanding of this issue

Description and Message:
The more i ponder this question the more i realise just how complicated it is. We are constantly learning all the time what is the perceived best way for a child to develop and this leads to further bias on how we view and construct a child's development. If anyone could help me unpack this question to get at an issue that is relatively straightforward it would be much appreciated!

Lorina

Re: Early Childhood Pedagogy

Post by Lorina » Tue May 06, 2014 4:15 am

I think the best bet is to read up on children's autonomy and supporting their identity then research about biased Educators and then using both information how the child can overcome biased within the classroom. I'm not sure if this is right but I'd do it like this if I was you... I've got a lot of information for you to read up on. Some may help, others may not but hopefully you can use this as an overall approach in answering your question...

Action Based Teaching - Autonomy & Identity
Encouraging Autonomy and Learning
Autonomy, Well-being, and Children’s Rights
Evaluating Bias in Teacher Value-Added Estimates

You can also refer to the EYLF on Identity and Autonomy (Learning Outcome 1)

How Educators Can Promote EYLF Learning Outcomes
How Children Can Achieve EYLF Learning Outcomes

I really hope that the information I have provided is small pieces to this puzzle of a question! :giggle:

Really hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A