This activity enables baby to understand names of familiar objects.
- Basket of everyday items familiar to baby. For e.g. socks, shoes, balls, keys, car toy, pillow etc.
What to do:
- Put the basket of items onto the floor and sit down across from the basket a few feet away.
- Look at baby and say “I need some help, can you bring me the ball from the basket”
- Encourage baby to look through the basket to find the object you are naming.
- When baby brings you the correct object. For example “ball”, say “Thank you so much for your help” and give baby a big hug or a high 5 (lots of encouragement).
- If baby doesn't bring you the right object say “Thank you, this is a shoe. Let me help you find the ball”.
- When your baby finds the ball provide lots of praise.
Hints and Tips:
- Provide lots of encouragement and praise to your baby when they correctly identify the object you pick.
- If your child can't seem to identify any of the objects you have asked for, don't worry, just keep naming objects throughout the day to your baby and soon enough they will begin to recognize and identify a variety of objects.
- Start off with 3 objects at a time then add a new object each time you play this game.