Introduce a wide variety of reading materials to children.
- A selection of reading material for example: picture books, comics, newspapers, magazines, catalogues, brochures, soft books, board books etc.
What to do:
- Sit with baby on the floor and lay the different reading materials out in front.
- Ask baby to choose which one they would like to “read”.
- When baby picks up one of the reading materials, show them how to hold it properly and how to gently turn the pages.
- Point to the objects on the pages and name them.
- Encourage baby to find objects that you name.
- Talk about what baby can see on each page.
Hints and Tips:
- Even though your child can’t read they are never too young for books.
- There are a wide variety of books that squeak, feel funny and even talk. Explore these books with your child.
- Incorporate this activity as part of your child’s bedtime routine.