Create a native collage using Australian animal figurines and natural materials.
- Paper Plate
- Crepe paper (blue and green)
- Natural Objects (shells, rocks, sticks leaves etc).
- Small animal figurines (turtle, lizards, fish, etc)
- Sticky Tape
What to do:
Collect all the materials for each child.
Cut the green and blue crepe paper into squares.
Glue the green crepe paper on one half of the paper plate.
On the other half glue the blue crepe paper squares.
Once the paper plate has dried from the glue,create a collage on the green and blue backgrounds using the natural objects and the animal figurines. Stick them in place using sticky tape (so they can be easily removed later).
Hints and Tips
- If you are not wanting to use animal figurines, you can simply draw and cut out paper animals and get the children to decorate these using aboriginal colours which then can be stuck onto the paper plate.
- Australian animals include: kangaroos, dingos, koalas, platypus, crocodiles and emus.
- Using native animals in Aboriginal Dreamtime stories, remind children of the importance of looking after the natural environment and the animals that depend on it.